Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rude Awakenings and Rainy Rides

You know, it's funny how most people would think that you would feel better and stronger at the end of the season. That isn't the case for me. While I have had race performances that I am proud of and show my improvement over the summer, I have been feeling tired and sometimes uninspired recently. The clincher came yesterday morning when I finally decided to step on the scale. Yikes! While it was "only" 8lbs, it was the incentive that I needed to stop all of my random eating and get back to tracking my foods. I am heading into the busiest time of year for me at work. I know that if I do not get a handle on this situation now, it could spiral into a bad place...especially as my workout schedule has the potential to take a back seat to my work schedule, or at least become"modifed" due to many more hours spent at work. (sigh....) So, back to Fitday and tracking foods & workouts. Honestly, it feels good to be back on a plan. The next step is creating a workout schedule for the fall season. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type person, so I need to learn that something is better than nothing... and not resent my work schedule. Easier said than done. One more race weekend coming up next month and my first season will be complete. It's been awesome! But I find myself thinking ahead.

I'm looking forward to continued focus on my running thru the fall months and maybe schedule in 1 or 2 5k races to track my progress. I am also ready for long weekend bike rides soaking in the beautiful views of colorful leaves in the crisp fall air. In terms of awesome cross training, I am super excited to incorporate more "Tiffany time" into my week...inten-sati, yoga, kickboxing, strength-sati, and aerobic dance moves (yes, that's right, I said dance. Ha! Stay tuned on that one folks!) My favorite part about Tiffany's classes is they not only work the body (in a BIG way) but they also allow me to refocus my mind on me and to most of all HAVE FUN!
And speaking of fun, Matt and I got soaked on our bike ride yesterday. We rode the Buckman course. Good practice in case it's raining in 2 weeks!

So now that I have rambled on about pretty much nothing, I have to go run.

PS: You'll notice that neglected to mention anything about fall swimming. don't worry...it will happen when it happens. I'm waiting for the snow to fly before I focus on that! :-)

2 comments:

SJV said...

I can relate to that "All or nothing" comment. Unfortunately for me that usually means nothing. I sometimes feel like doing one workout per week is hardly beneficial, but of course it is, especially if you suddenly have a week in which you can do three. That one per week will have kept you in such condition that you won't be destroyed by the "big" week.

Good luck staying motivated. You had a great first season. You can really rock if you stay on it. And hey, even if you don't rock the races, you still look terrific!

catmarlson said...

I'm on board with you. I knew I wouldn't lose weight during the triathlon season. Turns out I gained a lot more than I thought I would... Ah well, another learning experience.

Tracking on fitday.com has been successful for us in the past. Here we go again. :-)