Saturday, August 29, 2009

A bit more Timberman

Genine and I went out biking today. We got soaked. I got to wear the bike jersey she bought me.


Yup. I like it a lot.

Anyhow, so when I pulled the bike computer out of my bag it still had all my Timberman info on it. It had my finish time as 3:00:36. The timer stops if the wheels aren't moving, so it has some transition time in there as well perhaps. No big surprise there. What did surprise me was this. The downhill on 107 is crazy fast. The guy behind me said he hit 49mph on the way down. I wasn't going to take my eyes off the road to see my speed. Well I finally looked today. I hit 46mph. I believe I now own the in house downhill bomb record. Genine has had it since last year's Skylands Race when she hit 45mph. I just edged her out. :-)

That's it. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm wondering what Shawn hit on that hill!

4 comments:

SJV said...

Ah, if only I had a speedometer. And one that records to boot. Alas, I have so little in the way of technology on my bike.

But I can tell you I was going flat out, in full aero down that thing. Never touched the brakes. It would have been cool to see what that meant for speed, but we'll never know. I do know I passed more people in that stretch than any other part of the race, possibly more people than the entire rest of the race combined. Of course they were probably all people who had passed me in the recent past, but it's nice to reel them back in, at least for a few minutes.

GC said...

Looking good, Mr.Carlson! :-)

Luckily, Skylands is just around the corner and I believe that KB2 has another title to defend. The perfect incentive I need to try to reclaim the "house downhill bomb record"! ;-)

CSquared said...

I would like to be even with at the top of a hill with Shawn, because I don't every remember being passed a substantial downhill in a race. I bet Shawn might have edged Matt, not for a lack of effort, but Gravity (Potential Energy) is on Shawn's side. Of course I would just draft off Shawn then slingshot around him at the end.

catmarlson said...

I am certain Shawn would have a faster speed on that hill. I get down in the drops and do my best to be aero. I can't imagine staying in aero position on that road at that speed. It was not a straight road.
We did see a woman with some road rash on her back at the end. She was saying she lost it on that hill and said she probably shouldn't have been in aero... Ouch!