Monday, August 10, 2009

Go Go Go Go!

Saturday morning started out by meeting Todd at 6AM at the Y. We ran for an about an hour running our short hill loop 3 times. It was really nice to be out running with him. We were laughing at the fact all winter long we were looking forward to running in warmer weather in the daylight at 6AM. Instead we’ve been off schedule since April and now it’s starting to get dark again! Ah well, life happens. I think we are both looking forward to getting back on track. I know I am. I know when I run alone I think way too much about how I’m feeling and it always seems to lean towards the negative side. When I run with someone else I typically don’t think that way.

Then I go home relax for a while. Take a nap. Get ready to bike.
I should have been mapping out what our ride was going to be. Maybe then I would have been a little smarter about how I biked. I went out figuring that we’d cover 40-50 miles, if Genine’s hip was going to cooperate with her. It was a great day for biking. Low humidity and not too hot. I was feeling good and what ended up happening was this. I think I was pushing close to my Olympic Distance pace doing 8-15 minute intervals the entire way. Once we hit the 30 mile mark I was feeling like I had lost power. Our route only got us 36 miles in but that was enough. It was a good workout and served as a good reminder that I can’t start the Timberman hills attacking. If I do, it’s going to be a long miserable race once I bonk.
Oh, the other mistake I made was my hydration. My stomach was feeling sloshy on the bike. I think it was because I was drinking when I was stopped rather than while rolling along. A case of too much too fast.

Since we finished at the pool. We went in to swim for an hour. It was time to to try out the metronome. I started out doing a bunch of short stuff and the metronome was set at 1:15. That is slow, the idea here is similar to a stroke count drill. By following the slow click, it’s going to force me to finish my stroke and get much more glide time than I typically allow myself. The tempo was almost too slow unless I had hand paddles on. Which I didn’t want to do, I’d already done that workout this week. So I sped the timer up to 1:10 and that seemed to work out well.
I was fairly tired out so I wasn’t very concerned about my times. I was just looking to work on technique. Eventually I gave Genine the metronome and I just worked on holding my own slow cadence. It went well. I finished with a 500 and I actually felt much better at the end of the hour than at the beginning.

After that we were hungry! We decided to make Grilled chicken Salads, with a side of steak and a side of baked ziti. Sam Adams made an appearance as well. It was quite a dinner :-)

I had hoped to run Sunday morning before meeting up with Tiffany and Jimmy but it was raining and I didn’t have everything ready for our whitewater rafting trip. So that didn’t happen. The whitewater rafting trip was a really good time. The 4 of us had our own boat which made it fun. We could be as crazy as we wanted to be. At times it was hilarious. Genine and Tiffany got laughing so hard at times they were basically paralyzed lying in the bottom of the raft. I could see this trip becoming an annual event. It may take awhile before there are pictures. I'm hopeful there will be some good ones.
We got home at midnight.
Waking up for a morning run Monday didn’t happen.
Skipping Monday night masters swimming is likely as well. We need to get some sleep!

No comments: