Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, New Man

I started the year off with a bang. Tabatas for 12 minutes in the morning. Sounds like a snap. Only 12 minutes. I followed the 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off routine, alternating between 4 exercises. The 45-pound kettlebell swings start it off, jump to dumbbells for curls and overhead presses, slide over to a bigger dumbbell for snatches, then finish it off by swinging a 12-pound sledgehammer like a crazed Viking going berserk (don't let go!). Back to the kettlebell for more excitement. 10-seconds rest seems like almost nothing. I made it through without cheating, and I have to say this is actually kinda fun for me. If I could hit something with the hammer, that would probably help me get some aggression out and I might swing harder, so maybe I'll have to look for an old tire on the street.

This 12-minute routine has made my whole body feel like rubber, especially the thighs. The KB and the snatches do a number on those. I am going to try to get some kind of HIIT into my mornings, even if it is only 10-15 minutes a day. Hopefully I do a little running in the evenings. I never made it to Sparta last year, so I need to ramp up the commitment this spring. Wahoo!

No comments: