Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Matt's New Goals and plans of action:

1) This one has to happen. More time on the bike / bike trainer. My longest ride is about 38 miles right now. I need to be ready to knock out 56 miles without it "being in my head" that it’s a long ride. I’m scheduled to be on my bike 3 or 4 times a week.

2) Weight Goal: I’d like to know what 165 pounds or less feels like. I’d like this to happen before April 1st. I don’t want to be losing weight during race season. I’m tracking my food on fitday.com and using my calorie (deficit) plan. I know... I've been saying this goal for a while. It's going to happen this time.

3) Nutrition. I will have to work on figuring out what it is I need to consume to do the Timberman Half Iron. I know I didn’t feed myself very well during the Tango last year. That was a good wake-up call. I’ll be very aware of my needs throughout my training and try eating drinking different things while exercising to see what works the best for me.

4) Yoga. I’m awful at improving my flexibility on my own. Genine is friends with an instructor who has agreed to “coach” us once a week. I’m guessing it will be money well spent.

5) Here is an odd one I’ve been thinking about for awhile. No meat days. Because I track my diet and know my breakdowns, I know that I can do this easily and not be “lacking” any nutrition. I figure I’ll start just one day a week (probably my off day) and just let it roll from there. (Today is a No Meat day).

6) This one I can thank Maija for: Qualify for USAT Age Group Nationals. When she first suggested this to me I kind of shrugged it off, but it’s been in the back of my brain ever since. Maija is very good at judging people’s capabilities after she’s seen them workout for a while. So if she thinks I have a shot, I probably do. I don’t expect it will be easy and maybe it won’t happen, but I’m putting it on the list! Plan of action: Train Smart!
(FYI. I think you can qualify for Worlds at the Mooseman Half Iron?)

I also have lists of non-triathlon related goals for both Home and Work. That makes for a ton of goals and responsibilities to fit into your day. Coincidentally, a friend of mine happened to post a book review on his blog. He said the book changed his life. The book is called “Getting Things Done, The Art of Stress Free Productivity” by David Allen. None of the information in the book is really surprising. You probably already do each of the steps, but he explains the “system” for how to handle things in a very efficient way. I’m about half way through the book and I feel that it’s made an impact already. Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Lastly, I should review my previous set of goals.
Starbucks: The addiction is gone…. again.
Waking up early for workouts: Done deal.
Getting organized at home. Definite progress there.
Stocks: I ordered up Fortune Magazine and I’ll pickup IBD newspaper once every 2 weeks to see what’s up to help keep my mind on my portfolio.
Budget: Work in progress

6 comments:

esther said...

good goals, man!! now everyone has a list of things to nag you on.

GC said...

Awesome goals, Matt! First let me say that I am so proud of what you have achieved thus far in this endeavor/lifestyle change of ours. I know that you have put alot of thought into deciding on these goals at this time. As always, I am confident in our ability to work together as a team to support each other in keeping our focus and achieving results. I am so excited for the year ahead of us! Fun & rewarding times to come...I am sure of it! You are going to ROCK your 2009 season!

m said...

So what are your A races? Mooseman and Timberman? Do you have training plans set up?

Genine was really saying this "I'm gonna kick your a$$ at Mooseman Matt, so you'd better ride that bike a lot if you don't want to be too embarassed!"

ha ha, just kidding, you both are going to do great.

SJV said...

And I quote:

"There are no qualification standards for the Athena and Clydesdale division at the Age Group National Championship in Tuscaloosa, Ala."

Does this mean any Clydesdale can enter, or are they saying there is no Clydesdale category at Nationals?

We already know that Clydesdales don't have any standards. That's why we weigh so much!

Perhaps they could find a better way of wording that so that it is not able to be interpreted in multiple ways.

Not that it matters. I'm not going.

catmarlson said...

USAT Nationals..
"Not that it matters. I'm not going."

This is definitely the most unlikely goal on the list. I just wanted a long term goal on the list.
Maybe next year when I'm bumped to the next age group???

A races and training: I'll get back to this one.

Genine kicking my A$$: What's funny is when I read this comment Genine was on the bike trainer... about 20 minutes longer than I had been on it!! She's definitely preparing for battle!

I'm glad I was able to sneak by without having Butterfly on the list. I guess off-season is over!!

catmarlson said...

I'll save you looking up last year's qualifiers at Mooseman.
Keep in mind the swim wasn't the full distance.
http://www.lin-mark.com/mmint08.txt

35-39 AG, I'd have to beat 2:14:15 27th place overall

Whereas next year.
40-44 AG, I'd have to beat 2:19:54 48th place overall

my time was 2:36:23.

Of course who knows who's going to show up on any given day/race.