Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lethargic

Well, friends, it's time for my annual caffeine cleansing procedure. I have already begun. My wife went to a conference this week, so those are always the best times to do these sorts of things. No one yelling at me to get out of bed. Do the dishes, vacuum the floor, take the dog for a walk. I'll tell ya, I have to assume this is what chronic fatigue syndrome feels like. It's like I have bonked as soon as I get out of bed. There's nothin' there. Carrying the laundry up the stairs feels like the last mile of a triathlon.

I am trying Truvia this year as my drink sweetener of choice. That's a Stevia derivative. Supposed to be much more natural than any of my previous options. I was down to one 12 oz. can of Diet Coke today. I think I'll have one can tomorrow, then that will be it. After that, it is all homebrewed iced teas of my own design, with a bit of Truvia to make it palatable for me. Maybe a little juice added.

The hopeful benefits of this will be rapid weight loss because of the loss of appetite caused by the caffeine. And I should be able to get up in the morning without chemicals. It worked last year. But I am going for more weight this year. Two pounds a week will be a nice reasonable target. Hopefully there will be weeks that go better than that. Coupled with my proprietary 300 workout, I should be ready to rumble in April. See you then.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Sweetener of choice should be SUGAR, regular SUGAR! Caffeine, SMaffeine! High Fructose Corn Syrup is your enemy, not Caffeine. If I need a drink and water is not doing it for me, I have been trying Lipton or Snapple tea in the glass bottle. Real Sugar, Real flavor ingredients and half the calories per serving as Soda. but I guess Diet Coke is zero.

SJV said...

Yes, sir. I am down with the high fructose corn syrup. I don't eat any of that except in very small amounts in things like Zone bars and stuff. I am even trying to cut those out and stick with Kashi and Clif bars. I do not drink regular soda. Haven't in years. And see, you are drinking teas too so let me have my flavored water. This stuff is way more natural than any of the other options. If I get rid of caffeine and aspartame, I will be a happy and healthy guy. And I won't need sugar either. Maybe a little evaporated cane juice. My homebrew has negligible calories, maybe 2 or 3 per serving, no caffeine, no aspartame, and is 99.9 percent water. I call that a victory.

GC said...

I am a big fan of my "mr. coffee" iced tea maker. With some of the fruit flavored herbal teas that I brew, I don't have to add any sugar (fake or real). My favorite is moroccan pomegranate red (rooibos tea) by Celestial Seasonings. It has helped me kick the diet soda for well over a year now.