Thursday, January 8, 2009

Polar Meter / Calorie counting / "A" Race

Bike trainer: 5:30 AM Monday morning I’m on the trainer unfortunately my power meter wasn’t working. So I didn’t get power, speed or distance information, only cadence. I figured it must be the battery.
Next day I check the battery, it’s fine. Must be the wiring.. again. So I pull out the soldering iron and fix the one broken wire. Still no good hmmm. I take a closer look and notice that I had butchered the soldering job because it’s such a tiny connector. Long story short by the end of it I had broken a pin off. Now I’m either going to have to send the whole unit in and pay way too much to have it fixed, or I’ll get lucky and they will mail me a new connector. I chatted with someone on their website today and they are going to send me the part. Thank You Polar!

Wednesday I swam for an hour in the morning, then wanted to bike for an hour or more in the evening. Well this is also day 3 of the new eating plan and I’m still learning how to adjust the plan so my workouts don’t stink. My bike workout didn’t stink but it was obvious I ran out of calories. About 50 minutes in I’m switching to easier gears to try and maintain the cadence being asked of me on the workout. That isn’t so awful, until I notice my HR is about 10 bpm under where it’s supposed to be as well. I was shot. I couldn’t hit either number.
I had eaten about 2100 calories for the day up to this point. I’m running with Todd Thursday morning 5:45AM so I decide I had better eat something rather than going to sleep. I ate another 500 calories…. I probably should have eaten those before biking? Ah well, I knew it was going to take a couple weeks until I figured out how much I have to eat on which workout days.

Maija asked what my A Races are and whether I had a training plan. I didn’t include this in my list of goals initially because I knew my answers wouldn’t have been very well defined at that time. They still aren’t locked in. I guess I’ll tell you what my thoughts are about the subject at this moment.

A Races: Mooseman is an easy candidate for the A race simply because it’s kind of my “home” race. I know the course well enough that I can actually strategize how much I can give along the way. It was the only race where I had that feeling last year.

If I’m only allowed 2 A races, I’m not sure Timberman should be my other choice. I question my durability for this longer distance. I think I’m looking at Timberman as my test Half Iron to see if I enjoy 70.3 or if I’d rather stick to Olympic.

So I guess I don’t know what my 2nd goal race is yet. Spirit of Morgantown if I decide I can do that one without destroying my Timberman race?

Training plans: I have a planner and I am attempting to keep a plan for the current and following week. Things happen and I miss workouts or the order of things change. When this happens I look ahead and adjust to keep the balance between swim/bike/run.
I’m also hoping that I’ll be smart and adjust my schedule if it’s feeling like I should give myself more recovery time. Currently every Tuesday is an off day.
It’s certainly not a long term plan but it’s an attempt at being more balanced. Maybe I should be trying to make a longer term plan?

4 comments:

CSquared said...

If I was the "B" race I would try to make it harder for you because I was offended by not being named the "A" race. It is kind of like two best friends. I hope neither of your "A" race are jealous.

Or your favorite food, because I have a story.

My mom would always ask me what my favorite food was. I said I have things I like more or less, but if I name a favorite you will always try to give it to me, which then may not make my favorite.

I did make the mistake of saying early in my freshman year of college, quote, "Mom, you make the best sloppy joe's". Meaning that of all the sloppy joe's I have tasted my moms tasted the best to me. She took this as Sloppy Joe's is my favorite food, so the first meal home from every break was Sloppy Joes and baked beans.

Early in my Senior year I asked why this was, and she told me because it was my favorite meal. I did not have the heart to correct it at this point.

To make this story kind of funny, is that this continues until today. When Dinah was born the older kids went to stay with my mom & dad and the first meal they had was, you guessed it, Sloppy Joe's and Baked Beans. Eleanor without the restraint of a parent telling her what to say, takes about three bites of each and proclaims, these are the worse sloppy joes and baked beans she has ever had.

Moral of the story, I am off the hook.

I hope your B race doesn't bite you in the butt.

esther said...

i think since you have so much planning going on re: calories & races you might want to try short term goals and then adjust next short-term goals accordingly. once you get a hang of those, then probably easier to make a long term plan. my long term plan is to qualify for age group by the time i'm 70.

Unknown said...

I also have broken wires in my polar power meter plug - do you have a diagram showing which colour wire goes to which pin? It would be amazing help if you have!
jamesATpublow.freeserve.co.uk

catmarlson said...

Polar Power meter connector
Al: 1 blue
Al: 2 red
Al: 3 green
All you have to match the color with the number.

Looking at the solder side of the connector.
Cut out facing up
solder points in triangle. Top left Green. Top Right blue. Point below Red.

Hope that helps.