Monday, October 13, 2008

Waynesburg Homecoming 5K

Good news Bad news scenario.  Good news first.  2nd in Age group, 18th overall.  I won a nice Waynesburg University gym bag.  I didn't need a potty break.  Still under 8:00/mile pace.

Bad news, I ran a stinking 24:45.  This would be 7 secs off my best time here.  I had expected to be closer to 24:00 even.  The Hills got me in this one, also since my last 5k I haven't ran any day that didn't begin with a "S".  So, I have determined it takes three weeks to lose the excellent aerobics you took a whole summer building.  I felt, not good.  I couldn't hold the pace I wanted early in the race and the big hill in the last mile kicked me hard.  I did have dinner with the guy who had designed the course later that night.  Once I got over knowing this about him, we had a nice evening.  His wife is in Tamara's book club, so this was a couples dinner for this group.  We read a short story so the husbands could finish it easily and had a nice discussion over the story.

Last race this year.  I think I have already been working on what I need to get ready for the baby.  I also have realized that I need, I have mentioned this before, occasional training partners.  I hope to hook up with Bryan (5k course designer) for some biking on Saturdays in the next couple months.  Another guy at church is trying to start a cycle group locally and is starting to talk triathlon.  The best news is Bryan, same guy from above, is originally from Wisconsin and when I mentioned x-country skiing, he immediately asked where I go, and that he needs someone to go to the mountains of WV with him.  He doesn't want to drive 2 hours to ski by himself.  So:

Fall/Winter goals:

one x-country ski race (Jan/Feb time frame)
maintain aerobic base (run, bike, ski)
lose weight to get below 90 Kgs. (eating habits)
Abs, Abs, & more Abs. (three times a week)
Swim ? - Baby will mess this one up big time - but will try like I always must.

Toyota Camry update - 28 MPG - this is 6 miles to a gallon more than the old Volvo.  So, per 1,000 miles @ $3.5/gallon, I will save $34.  @ 10,000 miles per year, $340 saving.  So, complete payback on a the "new" used car compared to keeping the Volvo alive (including cost to replace engine & radiator, and scrap value of Volvo)  I will actually break even in 8 yrs.  Of course this does not include future towing bills for the Volvo, for whatever calamity it may have brought me.  Of course, this is one of those moments, where you say:  "Saving your Marriage from total ruins:  PriceLess"

Oh, yeah, took wobble out of Toyota van by doing brake job.  It was wobbling during heavy breaking.  The parts including pads & rotors was $130.  Wow!  I feel for those who have to take this to a garage.  It would have to be at least $200, if a professional mechanic did it.  Next big job is timing belt & water pump in this van.  Water pump is ok, but if I have the timing belt out, I will change the water pump.  I am hoping this is a 1/2 day job instead of a full 8 hrs like the last time I did a Toyota (regardless of the Toyota engine, they are set up the same, one of many good things about Toyota cars).

Took my mom, Dad & kids spelunking at Copper's Rock on Saturday after the race.  We found "Devil's Kitchen".  Great cave.  Tight passage getting in and then it opens to a huge chamber.  My parents also took my kids to the Henry Clay furnance at this state park.  Great historical reminant that shows what it took 150 yrs ago to produce steel.  Shawn got kicked out of this park for playing eskimo (building an igloo) a couple of years ago.  I set him up with the location, not knowing once the park closes for the season you have to get out after dark. If you ever come to Morgantown, I will try to get you up there to see this.  It is like a RimRock on steroids.  Don't worry we won't get lost, I have been hunting up there for three years and got home safely every time.  Bouldering @ Coopers Rock

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

I'm liking that 24:45 now qualifies as "Stinkin' up the place". I guess we need to stick to our training or we will be grumbling after every race next year!

It looks like your off season is shaping up. I haven't been on cross country skis in years. It would be interesting to try again. NJ isn't really the place for it tho.

BTW: you didn't factor in the training time you are going to gain by not having the Volvo.

SJV said...

Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia...yeah, right. No igloos in the the state parks in the winter when not a soul is in sight. You can camp all over the Allegheny National Forest in Warren PA without telling anyone, but noooo, you go into a state park in West Virginia in the winter, when it is much more wild and wonderful, I might add, and they kick you out! I was going to write to the Governor, but I decided I would simply keep my adventure dollars in PA after that. It's their loss.

Of course they did get to keep my nearly complete igloo. It's probably still there.

silent_scream said...

You think it takes three weeks to lose IT? I say it takes two. I tried to run after two weeks of bliss and practically left the track without a lung (sigh)

But your running time is still awesome. And cross country skiing is a fantastic abs workout! Good luck