Friday, October 3, 2008

Breathing in 5/4 time

During the track workout, I remembered that at some point along the way I was thinking about Dave Brubeck's Take 5.

That's because I realized that my breathing pattern was basically the meter of this tune. 5/4. Or for the non musical folks out there that might breathe with their steps, 3 out, 2 in.
Of course it being a track workout. I had kind of crank up the tempo of the tune playing in my head. So I hit my brain shuffle and tried to find another 5/4 song on the mental play list. All I could come up with was Mission Impossible.

Sheesh. I should be able to come up with more than that! I'll blame it on oxygen deprivation. I'll have to find something smokin quick to put in my head if I go do a 5K.

On to swimming. I was just trying some different stuff out at the pool today. I was working on stroke count for awhile. Tried changing all sorts of stuff to get it lower. Only thing that worked was if I was drafting Chaz! Saved 3 or 4 strokes per 25m when I did that.
Ah well.
Next I decided I needed to get back to spending some time making sure I can breathe to both sides easily and/or breathe every 3.... Well because of all the years of trumpet playing, I have a tendency to really take in a huge amount of air. Which is very easy for me to do quickly. Well I think that might be a bad thing. I'm trying to cycle a much bigger volume of air than I need to. So I need to dial that back a bit and see how that changes things for me.

The whole You Tube thing cracks me up sometimes. I wanted to post the original Mission Impossible Theme and this is what I found.

I was thinking "Who has time to do stuff like this??" Then I thought.. ummm what am I doing right now? Ha Ha!

So of course to waste even more of my life... I had to check for Craig's song regarding "Running Bear and Little White Dove"

Genine might not admit this freely to everyone, but she knows all the words to this because her mom had both the 45 and cassette of it. She is amazed that I have never heard this song. I can't say it's like the first time I heard "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. Ha ha!


Lastly anyone that was a VanHalen Fan and metalhead from the 80's has to see this.

Hilarious!

OK. here's the real clip of him playing. Again funny that someone would take the time to make that other one.

1 comment:

CSquared said...

45's, that is where I learned about it. No amount of research beats a kid with a an old record player, a box of your mom's 45's, and nothing to do on a Saturday Morning, must have been more than one Saturday, because I know all the words to Yakety-yak (Coasters) and The Reverend Mr. Black (Kingston Trio) and possibly some other back side tunes (see if a 20 yr old kid knows what that is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmV_lqXtuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFG1isS6ss8