Saturday, October 25, 2008

Swimming

Ah yes, the discipline which I said I shouldn't worry about so much because it's all about bike/run anyhow. Well after timing myself with fins or with the pull buoy and seeing how much quicker I am with those things.... I couldn't help but think that with a bit of help, those speeds are possible all the time.
Because I've been spending so much time trying to self analyze, I was really thinking that I wanted/needed to be video taped so that I could finally understand what it was that I was doing wrong. So I contacted the coach to set up a lesson. I was ready to be very open minded about this. I was thinking this could be a rebuild and I might be stuck swimming slowly for awhile. So be it.

First thing, swim a few laps so he can see where I am. He saw enough wrong that he decided that he wanted to start from step one. I have to admit I was concerned that it was going to be text book from this point on. I'm happy to say that wasn't the case. The coach explained what should be done, then had me swim and then explained what I was actually doing and all the negative effects of this. Then we would work on making the adjustment towards the correct way. It worked well for me because I understood both what I was currently doing and what it was I needed to change to improve. Even though we got down to basics, we covered a ton of ground.

When I got home. I had to sit down and write out some of the stuff because there as no way I was going to remember all of it. (I'll spare you the details of my problems and fixes, I'll post them if you ask).
Later in the afternoon, Genine, Maija and I went to the pool and I got to try and apply some of the stuff we worked on that morning. I made a point of not watching the clock. I didn't want to be focused on being faster. I wanted to be focused on making the adjustments.
I was there for 75 minutes or so, midway through I was feeling fairly comfortable with a couple of the changes. Can't say they are right/perfect but there is a noticeable difference.
I left the pool feeling pretty good. I think mainly because I hadn't been pushing myself too hard during my swims for quite some time. Even tho most of the workout was done with plenty of rest, it was so much better than anything I've done lately. That and I think I've finally got a clue as to how to improve from here. (I've said this many times in the past and a week later I'm clueless again.... I hope this time that isn't the case).

No comments: