Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fun Weekend

Saturday: 6AM we meet up at the Y to do hill repeats with Todd, Esther and Maija. It took me 2-3 miles before my legs actually felt warmed up enough to push it. I got there eventually, we are looking to do this again next Saturday as well, hopefully I'll do a bit better then.

Once it warmed up a bit, Genine and I did a quick 45 minutes ride. Towards the end of my ride I noticed my cadence meter stopped working. That would be because I must have kicked it and it fell off. UGH! So after our ride we hopped in the car to see if we could spot it along the road. Fortunately, we found it and it hadn't been crushed. It was right in the middle of an entry to a parking lot, whew!

Genine then went out with Esther and Maija. Girls day Hair & Nails. Afternoon off, what am I going to do? Well after the typical stuff around the house... time to catch a nap. Then once I woke up I decided it had been way too long since I had played my trumpet (2 years?). The good news is my embrosure is still solid, so the tone wasn't bad once I was warmed up. There was some serious rust going on everywhere else though. Now that's it's been out of the bag, maybe I'll get back to it a bit more often and try to get some chops back.
Then it was off to dinner with the girls and Armando. Hibachi place, entertaining and it was good. Follow that up with some frozen yogurt and call it a day.

Sunday: Sleep in! I think I slept for 10 hours. Of course I woke up at 5AM which is my standard time but had no trouble falling right back to sleep.
2HR Bike with Genine & Maija at 11:30ish. Maija lead us on an great ride absolutely amazing scenery. Fall colors are near peak for sure. Of course the migration is going on now as well. There were a few times that I spotted some Bluebirds. They were absolutely stunning in the bright sunlight.
There were a number of spots today that I wished I had my camera with me. There were some great photo opportunities. I don't think my bird photos on flickr are setup for everyone to see... So here are a couple of my favorite Bluebird photos.
First the Female
IMG_4677 F Blue B.jpg

Here is the Male
IMG_4714 M Blue B.jpg
Blogger crops the photos kind of oddly, it's chopping of the right side of the picture, ah well, good enough.

Oh, It was also cool enough out that I got to try out the cannondale bike jacket I had purchased at that sale in NYC a couple months back. Money well spent. It was a good windbreaker and I was comfortable.

After our bike ride, we headed into the pool to swim for an hour or so. Maija was doing IM and kicking drills. I skipped the butterfly stuff and completed about half of the kicking that I should have..... it was still a good workout.
After that it was back to getting stuff done around the house... Once that was done, Kick back with a "Harvest Moon" Ale. This is Blue Moon's pumpkin ale. Honestly, I don't really find that there is any pumpkin flavor to it at all. It's still an OK beer but if you want pumpkin ale, I'm a big fan of the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale. They were sold out at the place I went to so I gave this Harvest Moon a shot.... I plan on stopping at a different place this week to try to find the Smuttynose. Yeah, it's that good.

It was a fun weekend.

2 comments:

esther said...

you busted out the trumpet! mine is still in my closet, i think there is still some dried saliva in there..

m said...

You music people...

Fun ride on Sunday. My legs are sore. Genine was really hammering those hills!