Friday, October 10, 2008

Check Engine Light

"New" Toyota Camry is running great.  One of my negotiation points in buying the car was that the "Check Engine" light was on.  With the price I was offering they were hesitating putting it on their machine.  The car was running and running well, so, I estimated it was a Oxygen sensor.  

So, I bought the car without them hooking up to the machine.  I was looking into buying a OBD 2 Code reader, until Matt gave me the idea to go to Advance Auto (it may have been AutoZone).  The guy hooked it up for free, told me it was an Emissions blah, blah, blah.  Usually, remedied by buying a new gas cap.  The gas cap was not holding back the amount of pressure it should, so the car thought it was missing.  $8.95, put on the new cap, Light is out.  Matt, thanks for the idea.

Race tomorrow.  Waynesburg Homecoming 5K.  I am not looking for the 22:04 I ran at my last race because this race has a bad hill, but I have always run well (despite potty breaks) mid race.  Looking to bring home some booty, if not medal than shirts, water bottles, and Panera sweet treats (always a nice sponsor).

Had a consultation yesterday for a procedure that my insurance company deems sterilization.  I guess that is better than neutering, which is how my vet refers to it.  Very funny conversation with the doctor.  My favorite three stories.  The friend of his who didn't listen to the "don't do anything for two days" speech, ended up with grapefruit sized you know whats after playing golf the day after the procedure.  He argued, "I was riding in a cart".

The pizza delivery guy, who did listen to him for the first three days, but decided he had lost too much money being down that long and put in a 14 hour shift on the fourth day.  He was in the office on a Tuesday with a couple of softballs between his legs.  

The best one was the urologist associate to my doctor who decided he could do his own.  He was successful, but he no longer works there was the punch line to that story.  Oh, he did it in his garage.  I could go into some other funny observations about the whole process, but I may not know some of you well enough to share such information.  Catch me sometime in person and I will let you know.  

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

$8.95. That is awesome, I wish my car problems were going to be that cheap.
Cracked windshield, New tires...

Good Luck at your race. I'm going to do a 5 miler on Sunday morning. There is a good group of us doing this event so I'm looking forward to that part of it. As for the race, I guess I'll find out if I enjoy just running as an "event". At the moment I'm not very fired up about it.

As for your procedure, good thing you don't golf, deliver pizza or own a scalpel!

SJV said...

We'll have to discuss this next time we get together. My wife, strangely enough, has recently suggested the same thing. The best part was that she had the whole conversation with her doctor without ever asking what I thought about that. For some reason, I, like many other guys, am not terribly excited by the thought of lasers or scalpels near the old family jewels. I can't rightly explain it and as my wife says I would lay down on the railroad tracks for her, but that somehow seems like a better idea than snip snipping the pez dispenser, if you know what I mean.

More stories like the ones you related here might not help me become more comfortable with the idea.

GC said...

Open honesty....one of the many things I love about this blog. :-)