Thursday, October 30, 2008

Recovery?

It's been nearly a month that I've been dealing with sore legs. Looking at October's workouts, I guess I only had 2 days completely off. In my defense, many days were swim only. Maybe those aren't as easy on my legs as I think?
I keep thinking I'm going to ease up and give myself a nice break and try and recover. But fun opportunities to workout keep popping up. I figure once the weather turns nasty, it's going to come to a grinding halt. So I'm taking advantage while I can.

Of course I wonder if I'm actually gaining strength by continuing as I am. Or if I'm just putting on junk miles as a result of not being able to push hard.
The other thing I've been wondering about is my diet. My current mix is 15% fat, 20% Protein, 65% carbs. Great for having energy but of course when you look at weight lifting/strength building stuff they are always pushing massive amounts of protein for their recovery. Maybe I should give up some carbs for protein? Maybe some weight gain 4000?

5 comments:

m said...

Not enough recovery.

Jim said...

Most people eat double the protein they need. You are probalby no different unless you are a vegan. The max the body can process for protein is 1.8 g/kg of body weight. Anything beyond that is a waste. And for many people even 1.8g/kg is a waste on a smaller proportion (maybe .4g/kg wasted.)

Recovery is many times neglected,... I agree with Maija

m said...

I agree with Jim on the protein thing. I am one of the few people that does not get enough protein, because I rarely eat meat and I eat mostly donuts, candy, ice cream and fruit.

catmarlson said...

Very good. Nice to have a consensus on this. I've been 135ish grams on the protein, which falls right into line with what you are saying.

So I'm going to try and scale back a bit more on the training and try to get back to 100%.
I'm guessing that even tho' I'm not having pain when not running. The fact that I don't feel I can go all out when I do run, isn't a good thing.

catmarlson said...

"because I rarely eat meat and I eat mostly donuts, candy, ice cream and fruit"

Maija, I'm hoping that list isn't in order from most to least.