Monday, March 3, 2008

Taper and Zephyrhills Expectations

I leave Wednesday AM for Florida. Will only have dialup internet there so I figure I'd better post this now.

Got my swim in with class this AM now I don't expect to do anything too crazy before the race on Sunday. I need to warm up often and stretch my left hamstring out. That's my biggest concern at the moment. Other than that short easy workouts. Is golf a workout?

As for Expectations: Here are my results from the Morgantown Sprint with Craig last summer.
300m Swim 5:55
11 mile bike 35:04 , 18.8 avg
5K run 29:18, 9:27 Pace

I don't think I'll beat the swim time. I put myself down for 6:00 on the race form but 6:20 is more likely. I'm wondering how accurate that 5:55 from last year is...
The bike won't match because I'm on a cruiser "fat tire". I even signed up for the "fat tire" division.
The run is where I'm really hoping to improve. I don't plan on holding back here. Get to an 8:30 pace, hold that see how the HR is doing. Then hopefully adjust higher and finish strong. I'd like to see 25 as my first two digits in this category. (I could be dreaming)

4 comments:

CSquared said...

I hope you get the 25. I have not done that in a tri. 26+ was what I did in 2006 and 27+ last year.

As long as you can keep your HR down during the bike, I think you should get it with the times you have been putting in.

SJV said...

Could you explain what the deal is with the fat tire division? Why would anyone do that? Is it a different off-road course?

Jim said...

Good luck Matt, you've trained hard, I'm sure you'll do well.

catmarlson said...

Fat Tire Division:
For whatever reason you don't have a road bike. You have no chance of matching speeds on your fat tire cruiser. So smaller events often have this category just to allow you to compare your overall score with similar bikes.
The course is no different. Just no aero position, No 120 PSI tires, Not likely to have road slicks. Not to mention gear ratios!!
I'll post up some numbers on the training ride. I'm pretty sure he's got a bike computer on there.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll try not to get lost on this one!!