Thursday, March 13, 2008

Half Marathon Training

I had to find out.... I was talking to my friend that is looking to qualify for the NY Marathon. I mentioned that my next event was a Half Marathon. So he asks what my 5K time is. I tell him my result from Florida. He says but you can do better than that, that was after swimming and biking.
So tonight, I had to find out. I raced a 5K as my workout. In hindsight I should have warmed up first as it takes me awhile to get up to speed. My result wasn't drastically different from the Florida run. 24:10 was my time tonight.
So what do I do with this result? This chart helps me dial in my expectations for the Half Marathon. Sadly the formatting on the lower half of that chart is messed up. That's the training section.
So breaking down effort based training. I should work at filling in HR's beside these paces.
60% 10:41
65% 10:08
70% 9:37
75% 9:10
80% 8:45
85% 8:22
90% 800m on 3:54
95% 400m on 1:50
100% 200m on :50

60-65% Maintain Endurance, while recovering for a race
65-70% Helps muscles recover glycogen stores. Burning fat as primary fuel
60-75% Develop Local muscle endurance
75-80% Prepare muscles to make transition from aerobic to anaerobic. half marathon pace
80-85% Improve Anaerobic Threshold
90-95% Increase Max O2
95-100% Improve lactic acid tolerance

Lastly, this is the schedule I plan on following. I'm calling this week 7 so 4 miles this Saturday, 9 miles Sunday.

Apologies for the redundancy of some of the info in this post. It's more of a reference post for me to quickly find this info.

6 comments:

Jim said...

Certainly good stuff. The big key to keep in mind is that by changing distances, you can NOT assume that you'll run at the same VDOT.

I can run VDOT 50+ for a 5k, but will likely be in the 40's for a good day at the marathon. Lots and lots of other variables to consider. Everything else held constant, then maybe the same VDOT across different distances/performances.

Nice job running a 24:10 just 4 days after the triathlon.

catmarlson said...

I hear what you are saying about the VDOT. I'll just have to see how it works out. I feel like I've got some good numbers to work with. I'm going to have to work hard at staying in the low gear so that I can get through the longer distances.
I'm considering the helium fuel belt for hydration purposes. I sweat so much that hydration is a serious issue. It looks like the perfect tango race belt!

"Nice job running a 24:10 just 4 days after the triathlon."

Thanks. To be honest, the only thing that felt odd was my right hamstring. That was the one that cramped so badly on me at swim class last night. I did a long stretch after the run tonight.

CSquared said...

I am really going to have to pick it up. My normal 5k by itself is just under 25 mins. So, the best I have done in a sprint is low 26. So, if I apply this to you, you could be talking low 23's in a 5K race.

Good Job! Not to be funny but I thought the competition thing was going to push Matt, which I think it has, now I realize it is going to push me.

catmarlson said...

My personal goal the whole time has been to get myself prepared to do the entire race without stopping.
If I can learn my bike pace over the next month or so, I will finally feel more relaxed about the race. I will feel "prepared".

As for competing, I guess I feel that I'm just doing my thing at the moment. Maybe once I've finished more than a couple of these race distances, my perspective could change from "Finishing" to "Racing".

That being said, I can't say what I'd do if we end up side by side during the bike leg.

CSquared said...

Maybe you answered this, you are going to use the 24:10 as the 5K pace for your pace days on your schedule. I was thinking that you may want to go a little faster than the 5K pace, because you are not only training to do a half marathon but need to be able to do a 10K for the Mooseman. If you stay at your 5k pace your body may only let you run a 10K at the half marathon pace, make any sense. Therefore your quality days (pace days) you go a little faster than you would during a 5k. I may be off, but you still want to improve the speed, but the goal might be to just complete the half.

catmarlson said...

Well seeing how I'm not going to get the rest they are expecting on this schedule, there will be modifications.
Wednesday alternates 400m intervals one week, tempo runs the next.
Currently this is scheduled to be my Wednesday AM workout. I have not done well at making myself get a morning workout in. So this is likely to be missed more often than it should be.

I like your point regarding the pacing tho'. I'm thinking of putting this 400m interval on the "hill" which is just around the corner from me. Then I'll go at it hard 95%. That doesn't come close to sounding like fun. Once again, work on the stuff you don't like doing... I already know what will hold me back. The voice in my head saying "don't hurt yourself". So I'll probably be doing week 1 intervals while doing week 7 distances.

The Saturday Pace day is supposed to tune you into your HM pace leading into the Sunday long run. These are 3-5 mile runs. I definitely could see me running these above HM pace. I will just have to focus more on Sunday to settle into a lower gear.

As for "completing the half". I'm running with my friend Kevin. He's done a couple HMs and finished under 2 hours. I'd like to think I can run the distance and keep up with him.
It would be cool to feel like there is another gear available for the final 2 miles. I am unfamiliar with the Park, I'm told there are hills. Maybe I'll make a trip to Brooklyn just to run the park someday.