Monday, March 24, 2008

Race Prep / Too much Information

It's getting close, basically a month before the Bassman. So I've got to start putting things in place, so I'm not making changes or trying something new on race day.
What Types of things you might ask, most are bike related.
1) Saddle, need to try others ASAP
2) Helmet, Can I lose the visor on mine? Is it as uncomfortable as I remember from last year?
3) AeroBars, Get them on and find out if they are better or worse for me.
4) Chafing, Chamois Butt'r Ah yes, the TMI begins, ha ha. On Sunday for the 10 mile run I remembered to use this, in hopes of preventing a repeat of last Sunday's issues. I'm happy to report product worked as advertised.
5) Wetsuit, I still need one. I'm going to run up to SBR here in NY at lunch to make sure they have new suits in stock. I've decided I'd like to try as many as possible, ASAP. Craig, Shawn where are you on this?
6) Lose the "Swimming Bear" look. (TMI part 2). I'm not as brave as Shawn and did not go the Nair route. This was more like a Sheep Shearing. One could joke that I should have donated to Locks of Love or at the very least a bad Toupee Shop..... Stuff a pillow? I digress.
I thought it wise to test the waters. I'm still a manly man from the front. If it turns out I'm itching to the point I want to crawl out of my skin, I'll have to consider other options. Genine thought it would be funny to post Before and After pictures. I think back to Craig's Original chafing post and Jason's reply about looking for an imaginary pencil to poke out his mind's eye.
Thank me for sparing you the visuals.
From this I've learned the people at swim class don't know me well enough yet. I was expecting some sort of comment this AM. Especially from the coach, who has often said I need to SHAVE time off of my 100 swim time. Perhaps it was just too early in the AM.
7) Because of the new trim, I get to introduce another product. Body Glide. Applied to my sides along the lower rib area to reduce Chafing during my swim. Also useful with wetsuits.
8) I've read baby shampoo works well as a goggle defogger. Need to try this out.
9) CO2 system rather than a bike pump. What are you guys thinking here?
10) Energy products.
I've liked the Black Cherry Shot Blocks the best of the 3 flavors I had. I cut them in half, I think they are too big otherwise. I don't think this is a useful product for me.
Cliff Mango Gel, Not bad. I've got a couple other flavor Gels to try before picking a favorite.
11) Hydration: I have to weigh myself pre/post run to find out how much fluid I'm losing. I have a feeling my run will suffer if I don't address this issue.

There you have it. Did I forget anything? Maybe. If you are lucky you've already forgotten the TMI portion of this post.

2 comments:

SJV said...

I've been thinking about the tire issues too. Do you want to carry an extra tube and a mini-pump all the time? Will said mini-pump handle the high pressures of your tire? Sometimes not. It might get the job done to finish, but hard tires are better. I've never used a CO2 system, so I can't comment on that. I'm thinking I will probably do the tube and pump thing, if I do anything. I may just risk it all and go with nothing. Given that I have had at least two flats while on rides, I will probably not risk it all.

For me, the Back Nair was fine. Burned in a few spots, but generally painless and quick. It grew back about the same, and never itched badly. Shirt was sticky on the back like velcro a few times, but not often.

Energy products are a personal issue. I ate a Power Bar and then used the Power Gel at the Tango, and I was amped up. Nutrition and vitamins prior to and morning of also helped, I'm sure. I like what Power Bars do for me, but they are not delicious nor easy to eat. I have been getting these rectangular Clif Bars lately, which I like pretty well. I also enjoyed a certain Kashi product that I can't specify because I don't have any right now, but which were quite tasty and easier to eat. They were lighter, more like a Rice Krispy treat, but better for you.

I am not intending to eat much in an Olympic or shorter distance tri. I'll eat in the morning and probably eat a Clif bar 15 minutes before the race starts, then maybe gel it on the bike, or squeeze a gel into some water (or just use an energy drink that I like), but I doubt I'll be eating much hard food while on the move. The race doesn't last long enough to justify that for me. I am training my body to burn fat for fuel, and I have a virtually endless supply of that available.

Wetsuit? I don't know where I am on that. Maybe tax return or "stimulus package?" I can't really afford it right now. I'm a grad student, for the love of Pete. Guy who owns a bike store here (and is a very good duathlete) doesn't like the two-piece idea. I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't sell DeSoto or what, but he prefers a one piece. I wasn't convinced by his argument, but he might know a thing or two. I expect I'll get one before the Mooseman, but I can't say when yet. If you feel you need to make the order, give me a deadline and I'll see if I can meet it. I may still go with the ProMotion brand. I like the flaming arms.

CSquared said...

I have no issue with the Bear look. It is all natural! I will keep all the hair God gave me, even those nasty curly ones on my shoulder that you look at and say "Why in the Heck would it grow there?"

I have the CO2 pump, never used it. I feel before the next race I should use one canister to assure I know how it works. Much lighter and should be quicker to use. Of Course at the MooseMan I am looking for the guys in the tire van to fix it for me. Even though I will carry it.

Jelly Belly's for when I can chew, and Cliff Gels for the hard parts. I think no more than 800 calories during the event, including drinks. This probably means just one Jelly Belly pack and one gel pack. Otherwise Gatorade and water. I think you really want to plan when you drink sugar and eat. My experience is cramping if done wrong or too much.