Monday, March 24, 2008

Finally tried the new stuff

I received my new pedals and aero bars in the mail on Friday and assembled them, but I didn't get a chance to try either until tonight. We just got home from Easter weekend and I had some caffeine on the road to keep myself awake, so I decided to try to burn it off on the trainer. I am quite happy with both products. The pedals seem pretty easy to engage and they hold well, even in a standing sprint, and the aero bars are super comfortable, better than expected. These were the cheapest aero bars I could find, so the fact that I like them this well is kind of surprising. I was hoping to find them better than my makeshift drop bars I had been using for the Spinervals rides, but I am quite impressed with the comfort and fit. I guess they are heavier than some others, and the shifters are still where they used to be, but I'll live. I did a variety of experiments with the "flat back" vs. the "cat back," which is a debate about aero positioning I found on Friel's blog that Matt posted recently, and I am leaning heavily toward the cat back, despite Joe's advice. I mentioned previously that my gut makes the flat back rather uncomfortable anyway, but when my hips are tilted forward, I don't feel like I can get the cranking power that I get with them tilted back. It's also much less painful on "the area." At any rate, I am excited to take these new toys out on the road and see how everything goes. I felt much smoother on the trainer pedaling in a circle. Giving all those new muscles a chance to participate seems like it's going to be brilliant. I think 33km/hr is within reach now. Fellow Clydesdales, beware.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

OK. I've got to take the time to get the areo bars on. My left hand hates the bike. I'm guessing this could help it out.
This weekend was bike tech lessons for Genine. I learned that Genine had never let air out of a tire before. She's a quick study. She replaced both front and rear tires to thinner road slicks with new tubes.
We will be re-visiting the rear wheel because of the chain issue. To be honest I could use practice there as well. Shifting to the small cog being the key for the easiest swap.
I think I've got to finally come up with a plan for trying out bike seats. I've learned to live with what I have, but I'm thinking there is a better one out there.
Lastly, at the Mooseman if we discuss our speeds in metric, people will probably think we are from Canada. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jim said...

I hate my bike seat too. So if you come across something that seemingly is the best ever, I'd like to hear about it.

CSquared said...

I have my bike together Hoorah! The seat is loose and the aero bars keep falling and well the pedals haven't been transferred. I will be taking a trip to the rail trail to try it no Friday. Weee! Currently I love everything about my bike.