Monday, March 3, 2008

Heat Pump 1st Full Months Results

Here is the first month Geo Heat Pump results.

Total Electric Bill $219.
Average electric Bill before Heat Pump $52.
Hence Heating Bill was $167.

A little higher than I had anticipated, but it has been colder than I anticipated. Also, the billing cycle was 33 days instead 30 or 31 due to weekend and dates. So, a normal length month would probably have been $10 less.

My average gas bill for the six months of winter use to be $162. Of course my average February usage would have been $240. So it appears like I saved $80 to 90 in the last month.

Should get better, I used the electric coil more than wanted because my thermostat won't do what I want it to do. Long story but by next winter I will have a new thermostat. Also, the coil in the ground is probably insulated with too much air around it. When the ground completely settles I will probably get a 10% boost.

So, far very happy.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

My guess is you will be saving even more in future years. Unless the electric prices keep even pace with gas prices. (I've never seen a chart for that).
If that's an issue it's time for your solar power project!

CSquared said...

The solar project will be labeled as Zero Carbon Heating. A battery pack that runs the pump totally powered by solar panels. Not sure if I get enough sunlight in the holler to get this done.

Electricity will pace fossil fuels, but that is Ok because I will still pay less total. The real issue may be how much will environmental controls raise your electric bill. I could discuss how the controls will end up like a tax passed onto the end user, but my position may be a little biased. Of course anything with Carbon will eventually be taxed or raised controls that cause the price to go up. It is going to happen.