Thursday, March 13, 2008

Right Shoulder hurts more

Both my shoulders hurt when I swim, but my right is hurting more. I believe it is because I always breath when my right arm is pulling, which causes me to give a little extra to keep my head in a position to get more air. I focused last night on trying to make sure my left arm was giving the same effort, but my right still hurts more.

My mind has not been able to change to be able to breath on the other side. Every time I try it I either suck in a bunch of water or lose my train of thought and end up breathing the way I always do. Any tricks to help me? The every three stroke breathing seems advantageous, but I am entrenched.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Every 3 is difficult on a distance swim, I don't think you will see many people doing this during the race. I can appreciate what you are saying about breathing to your weak side, I'm not as efficient there either.
There really isn't much to do other than to make yourself work at it. I'd suggest swim one lap breath right. One Lap breathe left.
You are going to want to be able to change sides depending on conditions. Waves hitting you on your strong side. Or maybe someone just constantly splashing you from that side.
Just remember you want to practice the stuff you can't do well. Just keep at it. I need to do the same.

Jim said...

Man, that is exactly me too Craig. Both shoulders are sore and the right one worse than the left. I have only been in the pool once in the last week and a half to try to rest it.

I did some reading of the stuff Matt posted regarding high elbow catch and tried that 2 nights ago. Feels awkward, but more effective.

The Dave Scott videos on youtube seemed very helpful to me.

I don't think I could breath to the left unless I come to a complete stop!

catmarlson said...

Also I find it interesting that I breathe to the right as my left is pulling. Breathing to the left is my weak side.
Is this similar to being right handed but batting left? I had never considered that I was going against the norm here?