Friday, March 21, 2008

Should I do the Bassman?

Because they moved the Brooklyn Half to May 3rd. The weekend before has opened up for the Bassman.
I'm interested in this race because I don't see many other chances to race with my friends from swim class. I originally didn't want to do this because it's listed as an "Olympic distance", but it's really not. It's a half mile swim, a 29 mile bike, and a 4.2 mile run. So the Mooseman will still be the first "Real" Olympic/International.

This could be a good test run don't you think? Just don't go all out on it. Or is it truly too much to do this then a the Brooklyn Half Marathon the next weekend?
I've been going back and forth on this in my mind all week. So I figured I'd ask you guys.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

It looks good. I would hate to enter something then not go all out. But if the intent is for the companionship of doing a race then it is a good deal. I guess I might not go all out in all three things, but choose one and part of another to ramp it up. Example: Keep the swim moderate, Take it easy for half the bike then go to race pace for the other half, then put in a good fast run. OR if you think someone you know who is doing it is slower than you that you know hang with them and give them support.

Jim said...

Yeah, it seems like if you race the triathlon, you may run the risk of not being recovered for the 1/2. Then you'll end up second guessing if you could have run the half faster.

Always a toss up, but you know how your body responds to any given workload better than the rest of us. I agree with Craig, if you are doing it for companionship then no worries. If you are going to try to beat some of those from the swim class, then.......??????

Just my 2 cents. If you really don't care about running the 1/2 fast, then it's a no-brainer too.

catmarlson said...

Very cool. I like what I'm hearing here.
There are a ton of things I could learn from this race.
Wetsuit comfort, Swim pace and Sighting.
Bike Pace, stay on the cautious side and just get a feel for what I'm left with for the run.
Running: What's the HR look like? How do the legs feel?

As for putting together an amazing Brooklyn Race. My reason for doing this race was to build my fitness/endurance. I'm going to be pleased with any time I get. I'll only be disappointed if I don't pace well and end up walking.

As for beating people from my class, I don't think that's going to happen. Sad but true, at least they will all be there at the end to see me finish. ha ha!