Thursday, March 27, 2008

Swim Stuff

I watched the You Tube video's on the High Elbow Catch before I went tonight. I am definitely dropping my elbow on my right side. I realized the old Fist drill kept me from dropping as hard. So I did 5 sets of these 25 yd then stroke count back. It really makes you use your whole forearm, which then makes you hold your elbow up to keep head out of the water. Not nearly as hard as last year when I did them. My whole position felt better.

I also did 5 sets of 50 forcing my head chest down in the water more to lift my feet and get a better sense of the water. I actually kicked air the first set. It is also hard to get a good breath, but I think the drill had its desired result.

I started the whole workout by stepping on a piece of glass. I started to bleed pretty good and had to remove the glass. I used my pocket knife to remove a little skin. Kept felt like I was going to break the piece if I removed it with my hand. Stopped bleeding in about ten minutes so I did my workout. A little tender this morning, but shouldn't effect anything. I have no idea how the glass got on the pools deck. I told the manager as I was leaving, I didn't want them to make a big deal and slow down my workout.

The overall swim was good because my shoulder hurt last night but does not hurt tonight, so I think I have relieved a little stress on the right shoulder. I also rested pretty good between the 50 yd sets.

A friend of mine was at the pool, he is a good runner and he swims to take the stress off his legs. He was using a pull buoy and hand paddles pretty close to the size of the one's Shawn had in the Tango. He was flying. Still amazing how much they help especially without the kick.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

Unless I cramp up, I find that kicking in the pool is really good recovery for my legs. Low/No impact and gets the blood to the muscles.
The Pull buoy with hand paddles is something I should try. That would really help build the power, even tho the coach keeps telling us the power is from the hips not the arms.

I'm curious if you enjoy the swim workouts more or less than biking/running.

Maybe the glass in your foot is causing you to focus on it rather than your shoulder :-)

CSquared said...

I have always enjoyed biking the most. Running is currently ahead of swimming because I am able to still control the burn without feeling like I lose form. Swimming is more enjoyable, but I still don't like the fact that 600 yds burns like a booger , where a 5 mile run I can control how much I hurt.