Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Shoulder Update

So I had my follow-up appt with the orthopod today. I was being Mr. Mom and had Riley with me because he had a post-sinus surgery appt immediately following mine just a few miles down the road (a lucky break for me). The results of the MRI/Arthrogram are in, and to the Doc's surprise, it was clean. This is both good and bad. Good in that I won't have to have surgery. Bad in that the exact cause of the discomfort (aside from my being a total woose) is still kind of a question mark. The doc is leaning towards an "impingement" because the x-ray showed I have a "hooked" clavicle. He thinks it was jammed when my mountain bike rode me down the hill.

So now I am going to do the old physical therapy thing for a few weeks. I also was fortunate enough to receive a cortizone shot. Not sure if anyone else has ever had the pleasure, but I have (in my elbow -- last August from same accident), and I LOVE them! As I mentioned above, I had my son with me, so I had to sac up and act like I didn't mind having a 3 inch needle jammed into my shoulder socket. He was pretty impressed with both the size of the needle and the fact that I didn't cry. Mostly he was just glad that the shot wasn't for him this time.

I am really hoping the shot and therapy do the trick. In the meantime, I am going to get back into my full run/bike routine again in the next few weeks. We have a really nice gym at work where I'll do the bike and the neighborhood is ideal for running. Can't wait to get into this thing full swing!

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Do yourself a huge favor. Ask around about chiropractors. A good one will save you a ton of recovery time. If you can't get a lead on one, and end up having to just try one. I can tell you what you should be expecting so you will know if he's got a clue.
My dad had a jammed thumb for about a month. It made it so lame that it would randomly release his grip on a glass. I brought him into my chiropractor. One quick adjustment and it was fixed.

catmarlson said...

I just read my comment and wanted to clarify. I'm not knocking therapy. I'm just suggesting in addition to. A chiropractor would have you do the therapy as well, but he'd make sure everything actually gets into the right place.

I look forward to your updates on the spreadsheet.

CSquared said...

Glad to hear you don't need surgery! The needle sounds way better than the knife.

I reaffirm Matt's Chiropractor theory. I had a shoulder hurt from softball. It got to the point I couldn't lift my arm much above my head. After the first visit I felt great. It took me about three visits to have full motion. Lot's of chiropractors have PT on staff, kinda wholistic approach.

SJV said...

Let me chime in as well. I pulled my shoulder sort of out of its socket while doing an iron-cross type maneuver on a swing-set. Boy did that hurt. I had physical therapy for a while but it still felt like it wasn't where it was supposed to be, and I had weird numb heart-attack-like feelings shooting down my arm for a couple of months. I finally said "Screw it, I'm going to a chiropractor," who said I had a misaligned first rib or some such goofiness, and as soon as he adjusted it, I felt like flames were shooting down my whole arm, and for about 3 hours after that, I had the sensation that my arm was "waking up," like the feeling you get after you stop the bloodflow to your arm, then let it start again. That's all I did. One visit. Totally fixed.