Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Questions for Craig:

What did you invest in gear wise in order to do your last Triathlon?
I'm wondering what kind of bike did you use?
What if any bike, shoes/pedals?
Did your event require a wetsuit?
Do you have any training equipment at home?
Or did you just go outside and put in the miles?

I'm asking because I just finished putting together the weight bench we got for Xmas.
Now I've got a place to lie down. (we don't have any bars or weights).

I've been using the iFit CD series with my treadmill for a 5K run. It's supposed to get me up to a 10 minute mile pace. I'm getting there.
If anyone else happens to have an iFit compatible treadmill let me know. I'll be picking up the 10K trainer CDs for it as well.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Not much of an investment.

Swimming: I bought goggles, and a swim cap. My Wish list is a tri swim wet suit, but low priority right now - The Mooseman in early June may step up the priority.

Running: Of course I had to invest in good running shoes and I had bought good running clothes in 2004 when I first stared running. After my triathlon I invested in some laces that you don't need to tie your shoe. I lost a good minute trying to tie my shoes with my heart beating 140 beats a minute. I bought a brand called Lock Laces, but I know a company called YANKZ makes a good set also.

Biking: Had the bike. My 1987 Schwinn Worldsport. I used my Trek mountain bike to train on until about three weeks before and switched to the 1987 Schwinn. A road bike is much better. A lot of energy is used pushing the fat tires on a Mountain bike. I did have to put about $90 into the Schiwnn to make it reliable (new cables, toe clips, tires and tubes). I got toe clips on the pedals and wore the same shoes for the bike and the run. My number one priority is to buy biking shoes with clipless pedals. The shoes do wonder for the power transfer from you to the bike. Running shoes are too flexible.

So, Wish list for bike is: Shoes, Pedals, A computer to measure time, speed, etc, and possibly a set of AeroBars. You can go crazy.

Clothes, also, can be crazy. I used a pair of baggy swim trunks that had a liner in them. My bike leg was short enough that it wasn't a big deal. I do believe I will get some spandex tri-shorts this year.

I am trying to keep investment costs down. So, probably whatever $150 can get me this year.

CSquared said...

I forgot to mention training equipment. I have a treadmill, but almost 95% was done outside. I do swim at a local high school pool that is open for lap swim after school (minimal fee). Weight Training has never been my thing, but I do my crunches and push-ups pretty faithfully. Of course my dream machine would be some type of trainer to hook my bike up to for some indoor winter riding.