Friday, January 19, 2007

Couple Updates

I still hate my treadmill. I mean I really can't stand it. Last night I couldn't get the thing to not be sloped. So I started running. 5 minutes I was dying. I adjusted the speed down, even walked one minute. 10 minutes I stopped, lifted the back end up, mind you with the mill still spinning and beat the rear wheels into submission. I felt real tough beating an inanimate object, while my heart rate was off the chart. This is the problem with living 15 miles from civilization, on cold days I have to use what I have after I put the kids to bed. But, enough of the woe' to me speech.

I saw Scott, Jason, & Eric have posted to the training spreadsheet. I completed the sheet to the end of January and added Eric to each day (sorry we left you off til now). Let me know of any improvements you would like to see.

Matt, you are impressing me with the amount of time you put into your runs. I think you might feel you are coming on slow, but with that amount of time your running has to pick up.

Y'all keep it up now, you hear, only 493 days until the Mooseman Festival '08. Can we add a countdown counter to the blog. Just wondering.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

1: My treadmill also gets dumb every now and then. Only way to truly reset it is to unplug the device and let it reset itself. Maybe your's has a similar "crash" regarding incline.

2: I'll see what I can do about a counter. To be honest, part of me doesn't want to know yet. Because at the moment the task still seems monumental but feels far enough away that it's doable.

3: Thanks for the encouragement regarding the running. I certainly am very pleased that in 4 months time I went from not thinking I could run at all, to being able to run for 75 minutes.
Once I finish off this 5k training CD. I'm going to look more closely at my running "program". I think I'm spending too much time in my anaerobic (high heart rate) zone.
If you know of any really solid reading about this let me know.
I'm still not concerned with my speed. I really will be happy to have worked myself into shape enough to finish.

CSquared said...

1: Mine is old enough and I guess cheap enough of a treadmill, that all incline is manual and it works by dropping the back to incline the front. Nothing electronic, probably nothing a wrench and some lubrication couldn't fix.

3: http://www.halhigdon.com/#5-k
Hal Higdon is the expert. This is a running link that my neighbor got me hooked up with. Hal has beginner programs as well as expert. I try to do the 5K intermediate when I am not training for a triathlon (I did start with the beginner).

Heart Beat is the best way to train. Wait to you start swimming real regular, you didn't know what anaerobic was until you do this. I would definately say two hard anaerobic runs a week is all that I do. Otherwise it is easy run or tempo run (which is speed up until halfway through run and slowly slow back down).