Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Running Stuff

So yesterday I was surfin around at running technique web sites. I came across this one that said that anything under 6mph isn't running. It's jogging and that walking would be healthier for you if you didn't intend to push yourself to go faster.

Well, as negative as that statement was I did come away with something from it.
I feel that until I'm up over 5.5mph I really can't try to match the running technique I'm seeing online. It's just difficult to do at slower speeds for me. I'm certainly not saying when I'm running faster I've got the technique down, but it feels more like it for sure.
In fact over that last 4 months I've found there has always been certain speeds which just didn't work right. They moved as I progressed. I'm guessing this is normal.

The other thing I found which I though was interesting was the running barefoot training. They say if you are outdoors on a nice lawn and run barefoot you will naturally run with good technique. (Guess I'll have to wait a few months for that, Jason maybe by July you can try this).

1 comment:

McA said...

I don't think you should worry too much about technique. I've seen plenty of people who don't run with perfect form but still run well. There was a guy who was in the police academy with me who ran on the balls of his feet. It didn't matter if we were going 100 yards or 5 miles, his heels didn't hit the ground until he was walking and he ran very well.

As far as running outside, if I did it now I'd be able to check my form in the snow and I bet my time would be excellent. It was -9 here last night. I'd run really fast.