Sunday, January 14, 2007

4 months in

I started working out on Oct 13th on the treadmill. So I'm officially 4 months into this. I'd guess I've been on the treadmill 3 or 4 times a week for the majority of that time.
The funny part is, the CD trainer I am doing is supposed to be an 8 week program. Well I had to modify that program significantly. It would seem they didn't have a couch potato in mind when they made the program. I'm just now starting on Week 7.
So about 2 weeks left. I think I'm ready to handle these sessions. I did the first hill interval training session last night. I couldn't make it all the way through without a bit of modification, but did get to the end of the program. (check the spreadsheet for more info, there is a link on the sidebar now).
It's supposed to have me ready do run a 5K at 6MPH. So about 32 minutes. I'm hoping it works out, 6MPH still seems fast to me but I have hopes of surpassing that. Just a matter of time I suppose.
If anyone is interested in the CD's let me know. I'm hoping to move to the 10K program soon.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I think you will be shocked what you can do in the race. A little adrenaline rush. In 2004 I signed up for a race, but got sick the day before and opted out of the race. I was going to be happy with a sub 30 minute 5k. I didn't sign up for one again until 2005. I was moving pretty good then, I did a sub 26.

I have run four 5k's since and the last was my best at 24 minutes 36 seconds (I ran a sub 26 inside the triathlon). But I am always amazed, even though I am doing it for myself, at how the competition always seems to push me.

Finally, you run slower on a treadmill, I am not sure why, but I can't run as fast on the treadmill as I can outside.

Keep it up.

catmarlson said...

Wow. So I can expect to have better times outdoors? I really was expecting to do worse.
I've been itching to do some outdoor running but cold weather and my "asthma"... I'm a bit hesitant to try. Obviously I'll have to go outdoors eventually.

Thanks for the encouragement.