Monday, March 29, 2010

Overheard at the race

I forgot to mention my two favorite "overheards" of the race.

1) Walking by the portajohns. We pass a group of girls, one was entering a stall and another in the group says to her. "Is there room for both of us in there?"
Genine and I couldn't figure that one out. There were no lines/ no waiting. We just laughed.

2) As we were walking past the finish area leaving the race. I hear a girl say "Did you get totally hot during the race?"
I figure the correct response would have been, "nah, I've always been this hot".

Anyhow....
I didn't post anything about my foot post race yesterday because I wasn't really sure what the results were. My left calf was definitely tighter than my right. My Achilles as well. My heel on the other hand was feeling good but I knew I had to wait until the next morning to really know the results. Well this morning wasn't awful but I knew I had run the day before. So I'm not sure what that means. I guess it means it's not healed. The fact that I'm guessing means I need to call this sports doctor and let him tell me what it means. I do think I'm going to put myself back onto my run schedule so that I can go to Columbia and Mooseman and feel like I'm ready.

Going back to yesterday's negative mindset during the run. I've thought about it a little bit. On the positive side, it probably means I was pushing myself pretty hard. I was mid 180 BPM most of the run and maxed out at 195 at the finish. These are not efforts that I have practiced in months. They are not comfortable, so of course I would want to quit. I need to start practicing speed, to become familiar with the exertion. The speed gain will be nice too, if it happens.

The negative side is that it's a fact that I'm not as prepared as a runner this year as I was last year. Last year I ran the 15K on a 7:24 min/mile. You can't help but compare your previous efforts to your current ability. It's fun to do when you are improving but it's kind of a bummer when you aren't, especially if you are motivated by the numbers.
In my case, there is very little disappointment. Maybe it's because I can look back just a few years and realize that what I'm doing now seemed impossible then. Which then makes me realize I'm not that far from being back on track and that new PR's are still possible.

2 comments:

Jon said...

you still put in a great time!

I tried looking for you, but out of 4,000 people, you know how it goes.

catmarlson said...

Thanks. It's definitely going to be fun to compare results later in the year.
I guess the other thing I forget about is the pace corrals (which are awesome). I've not run many races where everyone around me is so close in ability. The limited passing gives an odd sense of relative speed.

I was keeping an eye out for you at the race. We certainly didn't help the situation with our warmup run. The national anthem was nearly over when we finally got into our corral.
Plenty of races ahead. I'm sure we will meet up eventually. Mooseman at the latest.