Sunday, March 28, 2010

Matt's 4 mile race report



Here we are pre race celebrating our easily obtained parking spot. As a result we had time to pick up our number and T-Shirt, then run back to the car and make decisions on what to wear for the run. Well actually, I didn't have any options but Genine and Todd did. It was 46 degrees with a bit of a breeze.
If you read the post before this you already know the results. If not this post is a bit more fun.
When we pick up our race number I ask Todd what he put in for his pace. He put down a 6:40 min/mile and he laughs and says "I don't know what I was thinking! I ran 5 miles yesterday at a 9 min/mile pace! This is going to be ugly." I was pleased to see that they adjusted my pace to my Brooklyn race pace of 7:18 min/mile rather than the 8:20 from the packed Haiti Run. I would be in the 2nd corral this time. Todd is in the first.
With about 15 minutes to go, we do a little warm up run. Then get back to the corrals with less than 5 minutes to go. They already had begun to squash the corrals together so we ended up being mixed in the front of the 3rd corral. Todd decided to play it safe and was going to run with me.

Gun goes off and I say to Todd that I plan on weaving a bit to try and get through some of crowd. (I need to make a point of getting to the front of my corral next time.) We are both weaving around and I would say 3/4 of a mile in Todd is in front of me and is slowly pulling away. I consider whether I should close the gap and try to hang with him the whole way. Of course he could be going out too strong and might die... what happened to "I'm going to try to keep up with you, obviously he's not having a problem ;-)
I decide I've just gotta run my race. My goal was to get under 29 minutes. So 7:15 minute miles. I miss the first mile marker. Which you would think would not be a big deal but you know what? It's nice to look down at that mile mark and see that you are on track. Rather than thinking that you haven't even reached the 1st mile mark. Eventually you realize you must have missed it and get over it. I can see Todd up ahead but for me to catch him now would require a big effort on my part and I would blow up for sure. I don't have my watch in pace mode and I really don't know if I'm having a bad day today or what. I'm definitely not in my normal race zone mentally.
I hit the 2 mile marker and their clock says 14:33, I started more than a few seconds behind the gun, so I realize that I'm exactly on the 7:15 pace I was looking for. Then I start thinking about the fact that I'll probably fall off pace towards then end and I'm not going to break 29 minutes. Then I'm running by this really tall kid that seems like he's taking 1 stride for every 3 of mine. I've got to get away from this guy. For whatever reason, that situation always messes with my head. I get by him and then I see some guy just run off to the side of the road, put his hands on his knees and take a break. Next thing I'm thinking that sounds like a pretty good idea, I mean I'm probably not going to break 29 anyhow. Then what was one of the more remarkable runners I saw today pulls up along side me. This guy had to be 5 foot even if that and built like a fire plug and he's passing me. I think, I've gotta hang with this guy. Seriously, there is something wrong with this picture! (I did not hang with this guy, he was truckin')
As you can see, I was not in a good place mentally for this race. My legs were feeling tired and my head was Mr Negative. Fortunately the 3rd mile marker was approaching. I hit my watch and I look down and see 21:38 and 185 BPM. Well there you have it. One mile to go and I'm actually a few seconds ahead of my goal race time. I also knew there was a considerable bit of downhill in the last mile. I ended up pacing off of a couple of people running together. They seemed to be running quite comfortably and working the course. So I made myself stick with them. Then when we got close to the final turn, I gave it everything I had. 5 or 6 people still ran by me in that final stretch. I look at my watch and see 28:55. Whew! I really didn't think I was going to get there under 29. Not much but I'll take it.

I go looking for Todd. I ask if he finished in 28 min and he says that sounds right. That's much better than the 36 minute run he said he was going to manage today. I'm not totally surprised. I can't think of a time running with him when it doesn't seem like he could leave me behind at any moment. What's a 3 month break from training? Todd is back. Awesome race. Oh but wait! When I check results online. He didn't run 7 min mile for 28 min. He ran a 27:30 and a 6:52 min/mile. Too funny.

Genine finished 37 seconds faster than her last 4 miler in Brooklyn. Which is great considering her Saturday workouts and the fact she's only had time to run twice in the last four weeks.

I think Genine and I are going to run the 10K in central park next Saturday. Looks like it will be close to 80 next weekend. What a difference that will be!

No comments: