Friday, March 19, 2010

Lungs / Feet

This respiratory infection is getting old. I've got my voice back but my lungs still are plenty infected. I would have gone to the doctor on Wednesday but I know their answer would be "how long have you had it?" 3 days. "Well, give it a week to see if you can beat it without antibiotics."
I never seem to be able to beat these respiratory infections. I have a feeling I'll suffer through the weekend and will be at the doctors office next week.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my plantar fasciitis situation. While I was in Florida I was hoping to come across a place that sells the Vibram Five Fingers. You know me, I'm going to research the heck out of anything before deciding to jump into something. So this is what I've come up with.
Most people that have had plantar fasciitis seem to agree on these 2 things. Time off is the only way to make it go away. Strengthening the foot is key to keeping it away.
Running with a heel strike is much more abusive than a forefoot strike.
Some concerns I have about the VFF's is that I've read that they are best for flat footed people that don't pronate or supinate, they are neutral. I have an arch and pronate. Hmmm.

I've definitely noticed that when I do my speed workouts on a track, I run differently. I am willing to bet that I become less of a heel striker when I'm on the track. So why don't I run that way all the time? Most likely it's just because it's easier (because of practice) to be a heel striker.
Given my current situation, I have to say that I'm interested in trying out the VFF's. Why not just go run in a field barefoot? I'm not sure I trust any field to be clear of junk that could end up stuck in my foot.
If I end up at the doctor's office next week for my lungs, I'll probably ask if he's got a line on a good podiatrist as well. Preferably one with a sports focus. I may as well try to get as much as I can out of the visit right?

2 comments:

Jon said...

I know of someone who got a PRP injection to heal their PF. That with a lot of rest seemed to work. I think PRP is a bit extreme, but it seems to work!

catmarlson said...

Wow. Thanks Jon. I'm no where near this level of pain. I know people who have quit running completely because of it though. Maybe this would help them out. Here is a link on PRP.

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/platelet-rich-plasma-can-it-have-an-impact-for-tendinosis-and-plantar-fasciosis