Sunday, March 14, 2010

Trout Creek Trail Run Results

I believe once they are posted you will be able to find them here.

I haven't done any training at all since I've been down here in Florida. I have been icing my foot every chance I get. I'm not certain that it's helping but it's definitely not hurting it. As for not training this week. It's probably as good a time as any to get some solid recovery in.

I played in an 8 person poker tourney last night with my Dad's gang. I haven't played poker in a long time. Yet it didn't take long to figure out what style of play everyone was. It turned out that I was in a really good position at the table but I really didn't get a ton of good cards to really cash in as I'd hoped. It still turned out well. I took 2nd. Most of the guys would say that's because I didn't play any cards. I'm not sure how you can say that their play was better when they didn't have any chips in front of them. ;-)

So the race this morning. It was 50 degrees. Race start 8:30AM which felt like 7:30 because of daylight savings time. My first decision was which race to run. 15k or 5k. I decided the 5K was probably the better choice. Less abuse on my foot, more suffer on the cardio, which is probably better preparation for Columbia and Mooseman.
I was there plenty early and was able to warm up well. The start was an odd one. They put us down over an embankment, so the first thing we had to do was run up a short steep hill to get to the running trail.

The starting line. 5Ker on the left. 15Kers on the right.
I knew I had to get out of the pack quickly once we got up onto the road. That's exactly what I did. Next thing I know, I'm running in 6th position. Unfortunately there were no mile markers on the course. So no split times until I figure out if I can get info from my watch. I'd guess I finished my first mile under 7:00 min/mile. It was about this time that I was passed by a woman that I determined right away I had no chance of hanging onto, she passed with conviction. I knew I had a few other people following me but I figured if I held pace I'd be alright.
Well I think they might have known the course, because another woman and 2 guys passed me just as we got to the beginning of the single track run through the woods. You really had to watch your footing. Roots covered by pine needles and leaves while making some fun tight twists and turns. I did open up a few times where you were given the chance to pass but I felt like I'd have to pass all three if I was going to do that. I didn't have that in me. I was going to have to wait and see if they were going to fall apart....
The final quarter mile added some mud into the mix. Nothing awful but the shoes got to be a mess in a big hurry. By the time we got to the home stretch off the single track, I didn't have anyone within my reach to try and out sprint to the finish.
I finished in 22:11 and 10th place overall. I'm alright with that, that was not a fast course. No pavement anywhere on the course.
I'll update with the official results later.

I know how Craig likes good race stuff. Here is the finisher's hat. T-shirt was good too but I really needed a new hat!

6 comments:

GC said...

TOP 10...NICE!! wish I could have been there to cheer for you! xoxo

Jim said...

very nice, to me it looks like you finished in exactly 22 + one lady's head!!

catmarlson said...

I like your 22+ than what I think it's going to be.
I think it's going to be closer to 22:15.... I'm still ok with that.

ruth said...

good work!

catmarlson said...

22:11 not sure if you can call it an age group win when the overall winner of the race was my age. They just didn't roll him down into the AG breakout.

catmarlson said...

Ah here is the pro photo at the finish line.
http://lakesphotography.smugmug.com/Tampa-Races/Trout-Creek-Trail-Runs/Bib-260-269/11521752_UQrfT#811029153_Gza9Z