Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cold Ride

Genine and I didn't get started on our ride today until about 3:30. It was as warm as it was going to get at that point. 48 degrees. I was doubled up on about everything. Socks, bike shorts under running tights, shirts... Once again we found out in a big hurry that the most important thing is shoe covers. We don't have any, so eventually my feet were just two numb blocks at the end of my legs. We did alright to the 28 mile mark then Genine's legs started to freeze as well and we slowed down we had 11 miles to go. I felt badly, I kind of threw the extra 11 miles in last minute. So I was thinking that maybe I should be helping Genine out by towing her with a spare tube. A la Shawn and Bart last year. Obviously that didn't happen. We made it back fine just very cold. So instead of going to the pool right after as planned. We stopped at Starbucks on the way home to warm up.
I had adjusted my right cleat and my saddle tilt today. The cleat feels better than it ever has since I've switched to this system. Although it's really hard to say as I had two pairs of socks on and eventually really couldn't feel my feet. The saddle tilt also seemed to be better but again, with all the extra layers, not a good day to decide.

My left calve is fully recovered from my over doing it with the vibrams last Sunday. That stuck with me until Friday. I'll be much more strict about only doing short distances with those things for awhile. I've been wearing them around the house. I like them more than I thought I would to be honest.

On to my next gimmick, when I was at the doctors office on Monday I was asked if I use a Neti Pot. I don't although I'll admit my sinuses do get so bad that I will just inhale warm water into my sinuses in an attempt to give them some relief. It's never really that successful. Well I now own a Neti Pot and the salt/bicarbonate mix to add to the water. It's a pretty funny concept to just pour water into your head but anyone that has allergy and sinus issues I'm sure will agree that it's worth giving a try. Considering tomorrow will be the 2 week point with this allergy induced cold and without antibiotics I'd still be suffering a sinus infection. Many people swear this thing rid them of allergy suffering. I hope to stand among them. I'm kind of tired of having my spring races suffer because of allergies and infections.

Tomorrow Genine, Todd and I will run the 4 miler in Central Park. I didn't have time to get our bibs this week so we will have to go a bit earlier to do a pre race pickup. I don't think any of us have high expectations for our results. None of us have been on track with our run training. The one thing I'm hoping is that my left heel (plantar fasciitis) might not hate me after the run. At the very least, how it feels will help me decide how I'm going to proceed with my run training. I'm 57 days out from Columbia, it would be nice to be able to get back to run training. Either way tomorrow will be fun. It will be nice to catch up with Todd and if he has time we might meet up with Ruth for breakfast post race.

2 comments:

Jon said...

No kidding about the cold! My feet were frozen during my entire ride today.

Good luck tomorrow! I will actually be down there to cheer on some other folks for the 4 miler. What will you be wearing so that I can spot you?

catmarlson said...

I haven't a clue as to what corral I might be in this time.
I'll probably have on my Yellow underarmour shirt and black running tights. Grey headband.
Hope we meet up.

Good luck on your run. With your week's training sounds like it should be a tough one.