Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Killing Time at the Airport

Florida Trip is ending. Florida is neither hot or sunny this year. I still had a good time tho'.
We watched a bunch of the WVU basketball games last weekend. I kept falling asleep before they finished. I finally managed to stay awake to watch them win in the final. They were playing tough, they should do well in the NCAA Tourney.
The 5K run had quite a few more people than I thought. 64 men & 71 women. After the race my lungs were wrecked. They often are, it's typically an asthma type thing and I can clear it within a few hours. Unfortunately that was not the case this time. I struggled with it the rest of Sunday and it was better but not perfect Monday. My guess is that the pollen got me. I took my claritin but I'm not sure it can keep up when you totally immerse yourself in the pollen by breathing as hard as you possibly can for 22 minutes.
I woke up this morning with no voice. I didn't even attempt to speak before drinking some coffee. It was low/mid 50's and breezy. I'm out golfing in shorts and and sweatshirt. My dad and his friends said to be thankful it wasn't raining, that has been the norm this year. I was able to talk loud enough during the round had to yell "Fore" a couple times. (45/46 not bad for my first outing in months, nothing over a 6 on the card). My dad had one of his best rounds in a couple years. 36/39 or something like that. After we finished, you could barely hear me talk. So the last few hours before I left for the airport were spent very quietly.
I'm not sure how I'm going to feel when I get home. If this is just laryngitis or if it's going to turn into more of a cold. I'm definitely interested in getting back into the training routine, this was a significant break. My left foot definitely needs a break from running. Of course I really don't want to give it a break right now. It really isn't very painful, typically it's only problematic the 24 hours after a run. Yet I really would prefer not to do anything thing that would cause long term problems. So what to do? I'm kind of thinking elliptical runner up until the 4 miler a week from Sunday. Then I'll get a good idea of how that break has helped, if at all. That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do right now. Don't hold me to that. ;-)
Those of you who don't live in the NYC metro area might not realize how much rain the area got while I was in Florida. Our basement was taking on water and Genine had to stay up until 4-5 in the morning to manage that problem. Also it brought to our attention another leak in our new roof. It's quite significant. I guess it's also going to cancel our Swim Video session Saturday. The pool area at RVCC is being used for flood relief. We just can't seem to get this swim video thing done!
Lastly, to go off topic a bit. There was a very sad event the first day of my stay here in Florida. My Dad's next door neighbor down here was in a head on collision and was killed not a mile from home. We aren't certain what happened but the driver of the other car crossed over into the neighbors lane to cause the accident. I had commented to my Dad not 24 hours before that it was incredible to me how many roadside memorials there are along this stretch of road. There is really no reason for these accidents. It's a flat, straight stretch of road with good visibility. But as I witnessed each day as we traveled this road. People are impatient. They seem to need to pass, when it's really only going to save them seconds in the long run. Mix that with Texting, Cell Phones, GPS Devices, iPods... Well mistakes are made and you had better be ready. Consider your driving habits, and see if you can't become more safe/defensive. I'd like for all of you to be around for a long long time.

No comments: