Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunny and 70

Despite that fact that I didn't get my regular Saturday morning motivation at inten-sati (Tiffany was at a fitness conference), It was an awesome weekend. The weather was my favorite. 70's, sunny and no humidity makes me a happy person! If I could find a place that has that climate year around, I may consider leaving the Northeast. But until then, I enjoy it when I can get it.

No sati meant sleeping in until 8:00 on Saturday...aahhh. After a meeting at the house for the front porch columns, we ate some lunch and loaded the bikes on the car. We rode about 28miles starting from the Y parking lot so we could swim after. About 1/4 of the way into the ride, as I was daydreaming a bit, I realized I forgot to pack my suit in my swim bag. Crap! so after the ride, I quickly ran home to get it and went back to the pool to swim. Since Matt was already a half hour into his swim by the time I got back, I did 1500m and called it a day.

This morning we drove to Frenchtown to meet our friend, Amy, to run along the path by the Delaware River Canal. It's only south of us by about 40mins(close to the PA border), but we had never been there. What a quaint little village. We did about 6miles running and 8miles total including some walking. It was a great trail...even, flat , dirt but not muddy even after last week's storms. The canal path that is close to our house would still be impassable. This was the first time that I have run on a dirt path and my hips were LOVING it! I felt no pain while running and no residual effects. Wow! maybe I can work up to some longer miles if I can run on dirt versus pavement exclusively. I was very encouraged. It was also a fun run for me becasue Amy brought her dogs to run with us...Levi and Nikki. They are both german shepards. Beautiful dogs and so well trained. After our run, we had brunch together at a small cafe in town and then drove back to Somerville.
After a few chores around the house, we drove out to Round Valley for some more biking. It's hard to resist when it is such perfect riding weather. One loop around is about 15.5miles, but there are some tough hills on the course. Matt and I have found it to be a great training loop for Mooseman. The last few rides have made it quite clear to me that I do not have my biking legs back from winter yet. not enough trainer time I guess. Although, today's ride was stronger than yesterday's, so that only means one thing....MORE BIKING!! Can you tell how upset I am by that? :-)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming week. I will have my first swim lesson with Coach Q Tuesday night. I'll be curious to see what comes out of it. He has helped Matt made big improvements, so I am hopeful. As I've told Matt, while it would be nice to quicken my pace, my main goal it to improve my technique so I don't feel like I'm working so darn hard all the time. I want to learn how to use my upper body strength to my advantage in the water. If that makes me go faster then all the better. I'm also hoping to go for a bike fitting on Thursday night. And then Sunday is another 4mile NYRR race in Central Park. I doubt my time will improve over last months 4miler in Prospect Park, but hey...you never know.

No comments: