Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back in the water

It's been a while since I visited my local pool, don't have any excuse but sheer laziness BUT I'm very excited to share with you two things I was able to try at the pool today.

http://www.swim2000.com/product/hydro-training-fins/

I had been using the Zoomers (red) the pool provided but people started stealing them (boo) so they are no longer available to us. I've always liked them. I felt I could actually swim with them on and they forced my inflexible ankles to bend if only a little... but I decided to try something else... just because. And I gotta say I am more than pleased.

pros: These Hydro training fins are more flexible (have more give) and they actually float, which I think helps my positioning more than the Zoomers. My feet tend to drag much lower than my torso and today they felt a little higher. Also they are much softer than the Zoomers so I didn't get the usual red sore itchy marks at my toes and ankles.
cons: They are a little longer than the red zoomers so they take up a lot of room in my bag, and the added length may take away the workout value the Zoomers provided but I figure hey, I'm not going to be racing any time soon. So overall, I recommed them highly if you're on the market for short fins.

The other product I tried for the first time today was a new pair of googles:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7789.htm

The Speedo Vanquisher Optical goggles. My eye sight has gotten worse and worse and I started to wear contacts underneath my goggles. Trouble. I would always dip my head before putting my goggles on and would forget to close my eyes. DOH. Also I could not stop rubbing my eyes each time I took my goggles off as a rested. None of that happened today. First of all the fit was amazing. They come with several sizes of nose pieces and for me it seems that was the problem all along with my previous goggles. I found the one that fit correctly (longest time on suction test) and had no leaks, no red marks on the face AND THEY DID NOT FOG and I could actually see clearly the end of the pool 25m away. No need to rub my eyes (but could if I wanted to) no need to take them off as I rested, they were so comfortable.

So there you have it. My two cents. Now I just have to make sure to keep going back to the pool to use my new toys. I'd like to try Hand paddles next...any recs? Soft or hard?

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

I use the TYR Catalyst. I have the green and the red ones. The red are enormous and I don't use them. The green ones seem to be the right size for me at this stage.

http://www.metroswimshop.com/product.LVC.htm

Glad you are back in the pool Ruth. Maybe you can get the C5 relay team ready for a September race out here in NJ?

silent_scream said...

September is far enough. I could actually accomplish some training this summer! What's the race? International distance?
I think I could get a team together. More info please.

catmarlson said...

The Buckman
http://greenbrookracing.com/Buck.html
Short swim at this one 400m

Or Skylands Not sure of the date for 2010, probably a week before or after the Buckman. Longer swim 800m.