Thursday, April 15, 2010

My foot / plantar fasciitis

I'm almost afraid to say it but I think it's true. My foot is starting to feel better!
Maybe going to the doctor and having them tell me nothing helpful was the turning point.
Or maybe it was the doctor that I didn't see because when I got there they didn't take my insurance.
Or maybe it knows I've got a marathon to run in less than 7 months.

Realistically, it's probably because of the night splint Jim loaned me. (Which I feel I should just buy from him at this point). I've been using it with an ice pack for weeks/months now, it's probably finally paying off. I've also stretched lowering the heel off of a stair, a few times a day if not more. I've also added the toe point circles in both directions.
I'm not sure why it's better, but I hope it continues to improve.

My training volume is climbing again so I was concerned that my foot might get worse. The intensity has also gone up. I'll be in NYC for a race again this weekend. That's 4 weekends in a row. Also, today was the start of morning track workouts. Todd and I were at RVCC track at 5:30AM. We were glad to have finally started speedwork again. (I'm afraid to look at my splits and compare to previous years tho'). It also looks like we will finally get all 3 of our planned runs in this week. It's probably been over a year since we've been able to say that. I think there is some momentum behind this right now. The marathon is definitely a good motivator.

I just looked up when this plantar fasciitis thing started for me. I found a couple of posts about it on September 2nd and September 9th of last year. Yeah, it's time for this problem to go away.

Moving on to swimming. Genine missed the lesson on Tuesday because of work. So I got an entire hour of instruction. The good news was my hand entry is already wider and my left arm recovery is getting better. I still have to think about it, eventually it will forget the old way.
The new problems are body position as I fatigue. Which is probably from low back weakness. I'll continue to work on my Locust Pose and that should help. Also I was concerned about my pull especially on my left. As it turns out, each arm had issues. My right hand turns away from the pressure at the strongest part of the pull, which defeats the purpose. I also need to focus on catching water way out in front with both sides. I am inconsistent with how I catch and pull.
Those were the bigger issues, there were many other things as well. I'm sure they will be covered again in future posts.

No comments: