Thursday, April 22, 2010

Looking ahead to the marathon

I had to bail on the track workout this morning because of my foot. If you can't run, you may as well think about running. ;-)

I've used Hal Higdon's Guides for 5Ks and 10Ks in the past. I like that he gives so many different plans to choose from.

I checked out the novice 2 plan. Run 4 days a week. Longest run is one 20 miler. Biggest mileage week is 35 miles. This is probably the most reasonable plan if I'm going to continue to swim and bike the majority of the schedule.

Maybe it's because they called it a novice plan that I had to look at the intermediate 1 schedule. This has you running 5 days a week instead of 4. You run 20 miles twice and you run 43 miles in a week twice.
Hmmm. For whatever reason, that plan sounds like you would be much more prepared. Yet the reality is my monthly run totals have all been under 45 miles. The first 4 weeks of this schedule totals 100 miles. That sounds like a bunch of running. How many for the Novice 2? 79 miles, that's a bunch too.
Alright that helps put it into perspective for me. I don't plan on starting a marathon plan until July 5th. I'll just have to see how my run mileage adds up over the next couple of months. Not to mention my race schedule should be locked in by then. Yeah, I'm not sure what's going to happen after these first 2 races.

Columbia May 23rd and the Mooseman June 5th Olympic Distances are definite. After that it's awfully foggy. Currently my next race would be the Tango Aug 7th. (There is a subject that needs to be discussed soon, relay teams again?) Timberman 70.3 is even looking a bit foggy for me right now which is disappointing but there is still time for me to adjust my schedule. I may have to sign up for a couple other races just in case that falls through.

Possible race options. (not sure if they are open). RI 70.3. NJ State Olympic. Opting to race the Tango Solo or perhaps as a 2 person relay again.

No comments: