Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Brought to you by the letter Q

I'm back from masters swim. So far I have had 3 lessons from Coach Q. Tonight's masters swim was the first time I felt consistently better. I purposely timed my 100's every time tonight. Yes, I know I should do that all the time, but I never do. Honestly, my time isn't the my most important goal right now. Efficiency is. Efficiency with Consistency is my swim slogan. If faster times come along as a by product, then all the better.

Tonight confirmed what Matt has said for some time now - Coach Q rocks. At last night's lesson, we worked solely on drills that gradually pieced together each part of our stroke. The awesome part? Coach Q was in the pool with us demonstrating so I could see it in real life, in the water. Then he would follow along beside us to watch not only on top of, but under the water- moving my body into the correct position when necessary. Amazing! By him moving my arms, hands or hips into the right place, I could immediately feel the movement I should be. For me, the person who loses all body awareness as soon as I get in the water, it was exactly what I needed.

Now, getting back to tonight's times. We did a set of 4 x100. My times were 1:56/ 1:53/ 1:51/1:53. The next set was 4 x200 (100drill- 100swim). My 100 swim times were 1:53/ 1:49?/ 1:53/ 1:51. This was with a moderate effort. My fastest 100 prior to tonight was 2:00- 2:03.

More efficient...yes. Now I'm crossing my fingers for consistency.

No comments: