Sunday, April 25, 2010

Many thoughts Volume 1- triathlon related

I have been wanting to post my thoughts for several weeks now. Yet, time has escaped me. They are rather random...some triathlon related...some not. I'll give it to you in 2 installments.
I guess I'll start with the somewhat triathlon stuff.

As most of you know, my job is crazy off-the-hook busy from August thru December each year (retail...that much is assumed). I've been in the business for 18years. I know what to expect. But something has changed over the past few months/year. The level of expectation, deadlines, store visits and all of the stress-filled days & sleepless-nights that go along with it has not stopped. My body and brain pay the toll each day. My performance at work, at home and training suffers. If I let myself, I can very quickly have a big poor-me pity party. I've decided that is not going to happen. I have the power to chose a different path. I can't tell you yet what the new path will be, where it will take me or when it will happen. but I can tell you now that change is on it's way...stay tuned.

Now, as far as training has been going. It's been a bit of a roller coaster. There have been some good days, but most are just fair...some have been down right awful. What I have had to remind myself of is that I do this for fun. I need to relax and not be so hard on myself. some days it just is what it is. I had a reminder a few weeks ago at the pool. Matt & I were swimming one evening, when the woman in the lane beside me (taking a lesson-obviously a brand new swimmer) sees our swim workout binder. She asks me what it is. I tell her it's a great tool to help keep us on track when we swim on our own, etc. She then says, "I don't know if I will ever be able to swim as well as you". (LOL inside my own head) "But I try my best. I'm doing my first triathlon in July. My goal is to cross the finish line". I told her that I was in her same place last year. She will be great and wished her good luck with her training. That brief moment immediately put things in perspective for me. All I can do is MY best...and that will be good enough.

A couple weekends ago, Matt & I joined up with Maija for one of her long rides. It was 2hrs+ with 5x 20min intervals. My hip, glut, ITB was in poor shape, but it was such a beautiful day. Plus, I have a hard time turning down a ride on new roads. We hadn't seen her in awhile, so it was nice to ride together. We left from her house and traveled some familiar, but many new roads...enjoying the gorgeous scenery. The intervals began climbing. I hung with them for awhile, but once the steep climb started I was dropped. The harder I tried to push the more severe the pain was shooting down the front & back of my left leg. I was most of the way up the hill when I decided to stop and turn around to go back. I didn't want to be the tag-a-long and impede their workout. I also didn't want to risk injuring my leg. Good timing as Matt & Maija had looped back down to meet me. I told them to go on ahead. I was riding back & would meet them back at the house. I was angry and disappointed as I rode off alone. But as I coasted back down the hill, stretching my legs, the anger drifted away. I was off on my OWN adventure now...and I loved it! I felt free as I did my own ride at my own speed and my own intervals. I followed the course backwards, altered slightly, but ended up back at Maija's place only moments before her & Matt. I rode 41.68miles! The same distance they rode. Another lesson in self acceptance. Sometimes you have to break free and allow yourself to do your own thing. It's OK.

As I mentioned before, my hip/leg pain is still giving me grief. It's been pretty severe at times over the past weeks. It is the reason why many workouts have been mediocre at best. At yoga, Tiffany once told me that some people carry stress in their necks, some in their shoulders, or get headaches. Others carry it in their hips...that would be me. And I believe this to be true based upon my stress level recently. I have been keeping up with the yoga, stretching, etc. and I'm booked for a few chiro appts. But last Sunday, I finally went for a 1hour massage. I specified what I wanted worked on. AMAZING!! Why had I not done this sooner? I was so bad, that the guy spent over 30mins digging in the trigger points/ knots on the back of my left leg and ITB! What painful bliss! He felt badly for running out of time for my right leg. I now understand why people go for 90min or 2hr massages. The funny part is that by only having 1 leg worked on, it was CLEARLY evident how beneficial the massage was. Next time: 90mins...starting with the right leg!

Some of the high points have been:
The NYRR races I've done with Matt. I did 2 4milers and a 10k. My times are not stellar, but not bad for me either. It's been good race practice and I've enjoyed them. My hope is to be able to work more on my running, up the miles a bit and not risk my hip/glut flaring up. Maybe the massage and the rolling stick (best gadget EVER!) will help make that a reality.

My swim lessons with Coach Q. 2 so far and 2 or 3 more to go. Surprise...I'm not comfortable in the water. (Unlike swimming bear, it is not my natural habitat.) I'm also a slow learner. The good news? During today's swim I could feel the difference in the water against my hand when I went in high and had to push down at the start of my pull versus my hand going in low and having a powerful pull. Progress!! My goal for these lessons is not necessarily to reduce my times (although that would be nice), but to be more efficient in the water. I don't want to have to work so hard. I think I'm on my way.

And so with Mooseman arriving in 41days, I strive to be at peace with myself and my performance. Whatever is to be will be. I will give it my best. I will cross the finish line and I will be proud race in honor of such amazing people.

As an added bonus for Shawn and Craig (are you still out there?), I'm most likely racing in King of the Hill vs. Jerseyman as my local warm-up race prior to Mooseman. Jerseyman falls on the same weekend that we will be in MD for Columbia, so this is the next closest race I could find that fit our schedule. What do you think guys...good practice for Tango??

Next up: Volume 2- all the random Fun Stuff. Here's a couple teasers...
guacamole, california rolls, soup.

4 comments:

Mjay said...

Hey--I believe in you! Never lose sight of the fact that what you do must be for your enjoyment. We love you no matter how fast you bike, swim or run. We love you even when you choose ICE CREAM over all those activities. Your path is out there...just follow your heart.

SJV said...

I am still here. The King of the Hill looks fun. I much prefer the offroad biking, methinks.

As for the toboggan hill, if you are running down it, then woohoo. If you have to run up it, then I am out.

All I can think is watch those ankles. Mine would probably be toast in that race.

Mjay, I hope all that love applies to me too, because my heart has not been leading me to do any exercise, and it appears that my heart has been choosing Doritos far more often than running.

My motivation (concerning almost everything) is at an all-time low. I might have some kind of clinical disease, but I also might just need to go somewhere sunny and do a job that feels meaningful.

G, if you have a plan involving big changes, and any of those changes involve hammocks in the tropics, please keep me in the loop. All that stagehanding has made me very good with knots, so making and repairing hammocks is something I am sure I could pick up quickly.

Mjay said...

I'll feed you grapes while you hangout in your hammock. Vash can repair it....
This is a great plan.

Yeah---that's how much we care....

Vash - I too have not been able to do much. My knees are becoming a BIG problem. Frustration setting in....much butt sitting in my recent past!

GC said...

Thanks, Michelle! I know you guys are always in my corner. The deeply rooted friendship that we all share is an awesome and precious gift. One that I never take for granted.

Shawn- You always have all of our love! A hammock on a tropical island sounds PERFECT right about now. I say we all pack it in, pool our resources and dig our toes in some sand!

I'll let you know how King of the Hill turns out. I really just want to practice my wetsuit/open water swim and transitions before Mooseman. I have a strong feeling that I will be walking my bike and myself up many of the hills. Maybe there is a relay division...care to join me for the bike?