Monday, April 26, 2010

Many thoughts Volume 2- Random Fun Stuff

More random thoughts...not triathlon related, but all things that make me happy. Most are about food. Shocking!

We've recently discovered 2 more reasons to love Wegmans.
Reason#1: Moroccan Lentil with Chick Pea Soup. While in the store doing some shopping, we decided to grab a quick bite from the prepared food section. This was one of the soup selections that day. I opened the lid and the sweet aroma filled my nose...mmmmm. We tried it and immediately needed how to figure out how to make it at home. Luckily the Wegman's website is awesome and Matt easily found the recipe. I made a batch the next day. The taste & spices were pretty good, but it seemed a bit watery when compared to the store's. Since we had thought ahead & bought a pre-made container to take home (to compare taste), I looked at the ingredients listed on the side. The one item missing from my recipe was corn starch. That should thicken it up! I'll let you know how it turns out the next time I make it.

Soup to go from the store.

Soup that I made.
Reason #2: Wegman's sushi bar. Since Matt has somewhat recently discovered a taste for sushi, I have discovered a taste for California brown rice rolls! (now raw fish for me, thanks) it's fun to eat (chopsticks!), high in protein, low in fat and calories. Yum!

And since I'm on a new food trend, let me also share that thanks to my team of crazy girls that work for me and their no-holds-bar take on eating (1 of the many reasons why I love them so much!), I have started eating avocados. Rosa Mexicano is located right beside my store. (Dangerous). Aside from an entire menu of delicious foods, they make the guacamole fresh at table side. After being coaxed into trying one time, I was hooked. All chunky but smooth with the salty tortilla chips.....mmmm. I may or may not have eaten an entire bowl myself. There is a great mexican place close to our house, Sol Mexican Cantina. They also make fresh guacamole.....really dangerous.

A co-worker of mine (who also enjoys good food) recently told me about this fantastic bakery she frequents in Rockland County, NY. She was there this past weekend and brought me back what she calls the best cheesecake ever and a loaf of olive bread. I haven't tried the cheesecake yet, but as you know I'm extremely biased in the cheesecake dept. I'll let you know if it's as good as Jon's...doubtful. The olive bread on the other hand is incredible. Going to try it with some feta and a little balsamic in a moment.

kalmata olives=salty goodness

spinach pie landscape...I recently made this. It' one of our favorites and so simple to make. seemed to go with the olives bread pic.

I'm a tea drinker (love the smell of coffee- can't stand the taste). I am quite fond of spicy teas, chai and mate teas. When we stayed at Kevin & Lara's last month, they had a tea I had never tried before. Good Earth Tea. An instant new favorite. After much searching, I finally found it in NJ at Whole Foods. My mom buys it at Wal-Mart in Warren. Go figure.

tilt your head to the side to read.


What I didn't mention in my last post was that during the 41mile bike I had my first slow speed crash. I was stopped at an intersection waiting for a car to turn left in front of me. No problem. I waited & then clipped in my right foot- ready to go as the car passed. Just as I pushed off, the car paused and I fell over. Not a big deal. It was so uneventful that I forgot to mention it to Matt until the next day.....when I saw this:

oh so pretty.....surprisingly not painful.

We are so glad to have Coach Elana back at masters swim. She was gone from Jan- March at the winter olympics for her job. She brought us back souvenirs. :-)

neon light snow globe for 2014 Winter Olympics...fancy

And lastly, I purchased a new workout top this past weekend. Do I need another top? not really. But I couldn't resist. Now that we're sort of connected to the cause. Cool, right?

1 comment:

Mjay said...

You should write a food column for a foodie magazine focused on healthy options and your perfect finds! We still haven't gotten our hands on the salt and vinegar almonds. Jerry is currently addicted to WASABI almonds though. BTW-you also do a great job of "stylin" your food. Love the spinach pie...would love to TRY the spinach pie!

Nice bruise...can't believe it doesn't hurt!