Monday, July 30, 2007

Race & Bike Ride

Rainday 5k, the good news is all three kids ran faster than last year. Maddy was 10:03, Levi was 11:15, and Eleanor was a 11:50. This was a minute & half faster for Maddy (5th place in her age group), this was 1 minute faster for Levi (4th in his age group), and this was almost 2 1/2 minutes faster for Eleanor, who defended her title in the 0-5 year old girl category. She has brought home metal two years in a row. I thought this might be inspirational for us.

I didn't break any records on Saturday. My strategy was to go hard in the beginning because of a big hill. Well, when I hit the first 1/2 mile marker, I was 3:30. I thought wow I feel good. I hit the first mile at 7:54, not bad, big hill. My heart rate then hit the roof. I hit mile two at 16:40. I started doing the math and 25 mins was about the best I felt I could do. Well, mentally I was upset with myself for going out so quick, even though that is what I wanted to do and I ended up 25:31, not meeting my goal of under 25. It was hot, but that is no excuse. The mental part is as much as the physical. Just something to think about. I should just relax and enjoy the race.

Big ride yesterday on the bike. 22.5 miles. I did it in 1:26 minutes (16 MPH). Had two pretty large hills, plus I went in the middle of a rain storm. Sprinkling when I started, but the lightning and the rain came hard. It rained hard a good 15 minutes, then on and off for another 20 minutes. It felt good. I think I ride better in the bad weather but my times don't usually show this. Luckly I didn't have to do any big down hills during the rain.

I will probably work out tonight (run 45 mins easy), then a bike ride Wednesday (10 miles), and a short run on Thursday. Rest on Friday or just walking a little around Rimrock area, if I get there early enough.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

I think your kids should challenge Shawn to a race next weekend!

SJV said...

Come on, it wouldn't even be close. They would kill me! If I knew it was only one mile, I might be competitive with Eleanor...but I think she would still win.