Monday, July 30, 2007

First Real Run

I went for a leisurely bike ride on Saturday afternoon with Kryste (my wife), Ian, Matt and Genine along the Delaware / Raritan canal path in Princeton. My bike computer isn't really working, but Matt's said that we went about 15 miles in ~1:17 for an average of about 12MPH. Not too fast, but we were really just puttering along and enjoying the scenery. It really is a nice path with Lake Carnegie on the left and the canal on the right and beset by poison ivy the whole way! Fortunately I haven't had any ill effects from the ivy. Ian really liked it as well, but I don't think I was going fast enough for his tastes because he kept hitting me on the butt like a little jockey. It's a good thing I didn't give him a riding crop!

Then on Sunday I worked around the yard and didn't really get a proper workout in. The bad thing is that Ian caught his finger in the door of the shed. Ouch! His middle finger now looks like E.T. and he was up no less than 6 times last night. Needless to say, it was pretty hard to get motivated to go to the gym this morning, but I made it. Armed with my now functioning heart rate monitor I hopped on the tread mill and after a couple minutes of fast walking (~4mph) I ran for 30 min at 6mph. My heart rate quickly climbed to 160bpm and sat there for about 20 minutes. Then in the last 10 min it slowly creeped up to 170. I was sweating pretty good and was definitely tired by the end, but it wasn't all that bad. This is without any hills programed in mind you. During the cool down my heart rate went back to 150 in 1 min, 140 in 2 min and was flirting with 120 by the end of 5 min. I'm not sure if that is very good or not, but I'm pretty happy with it. One of the perks of the treadmills at my gym is that they talk to the heart rate strap so I can see my HR without even looking at the watch.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Good show. The run is always the funniest.

Our focus, I may not be speaking for the whole group, but we have been trying to do 80-90% of our training under 147 BPM. This is theortically the zone were you burn fat, where the 147+ you are burning, as Shawn mentioned, glucose store (approx. 2,000 calories). I have become somewhat aware of this when I did a sprint Triathlon back in June, and after the swim & bike I bonked on the run. I got my heart way up during the swim and burned too much glucose and Bam!, I was shot. I had to get my heart rate way down to recover.

Once again great start. The real motivation is three weeks from now when you don't feel like running, just remember we are here for you and we practice tough love.

SJV said...

Tough love! You're already running faster than me! I'm not giving you any tough love. I might be able to spare some tough spite.

We all need to have a scientific meeting of the minds to determine where and how often to place our interval runs and such. It seems like we have to have some of those, especially at the beginning to help the body understand where it's supposed to go. But I do enjoy the HR workouts, as those always leave me feeling energized and refreshed, though extremely sweaty.

Anyway, Scotty, if you can get on a schedule and do it until June, I'm sure you'll make a strong competitor.