Thursday, July 19, 2007

Competing for 2nd Place

I don't know how to break this to you guys, but we might be competing for second place in the Tango. I know, I know that is a shock to most of you.

After talking to Thad the other day and hearing Toby Angove's name, I checked out an adventure racing site, called Grass Roots Adventure Racing, Toby is involved with. So, I dropped Toby an email (if I didn't mention in previous post, he was my tent mate at the 1985 Boy Scout Jamboree, plus ran into him all the time in Boys Scouts). I told him we were competing and wondered if he was going to compete also, that I would love to catch up with him. He replied and said he would be competing and was glad I dropped him a line. Some other pleasantries were exchanged.

I believe he is pretty big time into this sport. He designs courses for other racing outfits. So, back to the original statement we are competing for no better than 2nd. Thad had told me Toby did the Tango in just over 7 hours last year, the only leg I remember his time on was the 1/2 marathon, 1 hour 20 mins. What do you think Casey, hang with him, after I stay even with him, Shawn can wear him out during the swim.

Just food for thought.

3 comments:

Casey said...

I can live with 2nd place.

80 minutes is pretty impressive for a half-marathon. I know everyone can do the math, but that is just over 6 min/mile. I will be lucky to maintain between 8 - 8.5 minute miles. I was back in Warren this past weekend and ran 11 miles with my brother Joe. We finished with a 8.5 min/mile pace (but that included me stopping to tie a shoe and my brother stopping for a cramped achilles...twice. I actually felt really good afterwards, so I may have some room to shave another 30 seconds off my pace. The good news for me is that I have been training down here in Virginia, where it is 70 degrees and 80% humidity at 5:30 AM, which is when I run. It can be downright oppressive. It was a relief to run in 55 degrees and 0% humidity at 6:30 AM on Saturday. I will be in good shape if conditions are similar on race day. I think my strategy will be to draft on someone with a faster pace (probably not 6 min/mile though) for as long as I can take it.

That evening, we also went up to Kinzua so Joe could make the swim from Elija to the beach. Has anyone checked it out yet? I'm sure it is just me, but I would swear that the distance was farther than 2.2 miles. After 2.5 hours in the water, it looked like we still had another 1/2 mile to go. He didn't find the experience particularly encouraging.

catmarlson said...

After reading your post about your brother's cramping then the 2.5 hour swim. I have to say that the guys in the safety canoe should have a float to give your brother in case of an emergency.
Up in NH last week. I rode 15 miles. Then Ran 4 a bit later. Then went to the beach. I thought I'd do some drills with the swim fins. My feet got some nasty cramps and I was done in the water for the day.
I still float rather well so being in deep water with cramped muscles wasn't completely terrifying. If your brother doesn't float well, well I wouldn't want to be in that situation.
Make sure that safety canoe is well staffed.

Casey said...

I agree with you. I wouldn't want to be in deep water and exhausted when foot cramps hit me either. Fortunately the wetsuit does provide a lot of buoyancy. However, it still may not be enough in an emergency.

The safety canoe will be adequately manned and equipped.