Tuesday, July 3, 2007

5K Race Tomorrow

5K Race at the Big Fairview, WV 4th of July Celebration. I ran a 25:17, last year. I definitely want to go under 25, I would be ecstatic with a 24:30, but I don't feel like I have been running much, I could go way slower, not a good feel at this point, especially since I haven't went for a run in five days. The race is free, and the first 50 to sign up get a T-shirt. Only 46 people did it last year. If you don't get your time at the race, they never post them anywhere else. I am excited to run hard. My runs lately have been longer for me, but I have not opened it up since Rocky Gap focusing on the heart rate stuff. I am hoping I respond well. I'm struggling with strategy. Go out hard, or lay off and end hard. I will have to think about. A lot of high school kids do this race. It is funny, they all go out hard, but only half have trained and can keep it up. The half that didn't train you pass at the mile mark & they are shot. Of course I have had them pass me at the finish in races, so I believe they recover well.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

I think if it were me these would be my two options. In order of preference.

1) Pick a pace you feel you could hold the entire run and stay there. Maybe turn it on towards the end if you feel you have gas in the tank.
2) Start slow and build.

Just my opinion. Good Luck!

CSquared said...

Ran a 24:47. Great for me this early. Just over 30 seconds faster than I ran last year at this race.

I went at a pace I thought I could hold the whole race. I went a little too fast. First mile was 7:41. My average pace for the race was 7:59. I died just before the second mile marker. I knew I was dying because I had been running with a guy about my age until the turn around, when he pulled in front of me. He ended up beating me by 30 seconds. I recovered with about a half mile to go. I did hold off a couple people. Only one guy passed me in the last mile.

Best recovery after a race I think I ever had. Which is a great sign.

Winner ran a 16:17. Kid is going to be a junior in high school. Of course I think he was top five in the state last fall in cross country, so he really was taking it easy on us.

catmarlson said...

Nice run!
It's kind of funny to look at these shorter race times. I guess I've got the idea of these hour and multi hour events in my head.
Also, now I know you will be waiting for me at the finish line at the Morgantown Tri with my beer. Ha!