Thursday, July 26, 2007

More HR stuff

So, I decided to run today, after doing a pretty hard swim with fins and paddles, and I wore my HR monitor. As a reminder, according to Mark Allen I should be keeping my HR around 142 while running to train my body to burn fat. If I go much above that, I start burning glucose, of which I only have about 2,000 calories worth to burn, whereas I have about 500,000 calories of fat available. Okay, so I get running at a leisurely pace of about 4.6 mph (according to my treadmill), and I get my HR up where I want it. Keep in mind I'm pretty heavy (around 265 now), so it takes a lot of work to keep that mass moving at any kind of speed. Okay, so a song that really gets me going comes on my iPod (Dropkick Murphys doing Amazing Grace), and I speed up to a blazing 5.5 mph, which for me is pretty fast. It's a short song and I am using it like an interval or a hill or something, and I get my HR up to the 180's, then the song ends, and I want to get the HR back down in the zone quickly, so I drop the speed back to 4.6, and my HR won't go below 160. So I drop it further until I am walking, and it eventually gets to 142. Then, I leave it at 3.8 mph (still walking, though quickly), and my HR stays in the zone. I can walk like this all day, and keep it there (which is what Mark tells me to do), so as an experiment, I pick up the 20 pound dumbbells and walk with those for a while like I used to at a very comfortable 3.0 mph, and it goes backs up in the 160's. This is no problem for me to maintain, not nearly as much of a problem as running in that HR zone. Then after an hour at or above the zone, I did some standing kettlebell work, and my HR went up in the 170's, yet this was even more comfortable than the walking with weights. I think I could do K-bell work for an hour with much less difficulty than running for an hour, even though they put me at the same HR. My questions are: Is there any benefit to doing HR work at anything other than running, if what I really want to be able to do is run? Is walking in the zone eventually going to lead to running in the zone? Should I just be patient, or should I do glucose work (intervals, higher HR stuff) until I can run in my zone? Is the whole issue here that I need to lose weight? Can somewhat overweight people be exceptionally aerobically fit, or is that just not something that goes together? And if I want to lose weight, isn't burning fat the way to go anyway? I'd love to know what you guys think about all those questions based on your readings and experience.

No comments: