Monday, July 9, 2007

Back from Warren

A simpler life on that boat.

Met up with Shawn on Saturday. He brought Fiona, a friend Franz (sp), daughters Rosa & Merle (I couldn't pronounce it very well so I'm sure I didn't spell it right). Had a great time, Kids all swam. This would be the second year in a row that Shawn introduced the Kinzua-Wolf Run Marina to international travelers. Took a speed boat and house boat ride. Also partook of the Hotdog buffet bar a fellow boater set up on the dock. It was like a tureen diner with Hot dogs and toppings as the provided meat. Of course most of them were not drinking lemonade or tea like most Churches serv, as the beverage of choice.

Shawn did a good 1/2 mile plus open water swim. I ran the kayak for safety. He looked good. The fins definitely help him motor. If he keeps up a pace like he was on Saturday, he will make us look good.

It was nice seeing him.

I didn't ride the bike course, because I left the bike at home. I did drive some of it. It won't be too bad after the first hill.

I also took an open water swim after Shawn left. Tamara ran safety boat for me. I jumped off the dock and swam over to the Casey Bridge's east bank and back, about 1/2 mile. Went well. I just wanted Shawn to know the water was like glass when I did my swim. It was pretty rough when Shawn did his.

My dad has a canoe & my brother does too. I forgot to ask my dad about a fast canoe we could borrow from somebody he knows. I don't know if it exists, but he knows a few people who owns boats.

Just a side note, my parents house will be empty except for me the weekend of the Tango. So anyone coming on Friday, if you need a place to lay your head, let me know.

Matt, I could not find topo maps at my dad's house, but he didn't think he had that grid in the big map. Sorry.

1 comment:

SJV said...

Yes, it was nice to see Craig and family too. Judy and Tony are always very gracious and tolerant of my surprise visits. It was a fun trip. We took Frans and his two daughters (ages 8 and 5) up to Rimrock, where he was in rock climbing heaven (he is an avid climber). Took the girls in my usual cave, where they freaked out on the way in, then didn't want to leave on the way out. Typical women.

Yes, I have brought people from India, Taiwan and The Netherlands to see the Cerras, and I took another classmate from China to the reservoir, but it was after the boating season was over. They all think Warren should be a bigger tourist destination (hint, hint). I was thinking we could all open a guided tour of the PA wilderness program and market it oversees. I drive 'em around on land, the Cerra's take 'em on the water, we spread goodwill and natural beauty around the world and make money doing it! Doesn't that sound nice?

Anyway, I did swim a good distance in a choppy lake with powerful winds, and I felt good doing it. I am not concerned about the Tango. I will be doing targeted workouts to deal with the specific needs of this race over the next 3 weeks. I ordered hand paddles today and took more lessons from the swim coach. Did a hard kicking drill with fins, pushing against a wall for a constant 45 minutes. This is a thigh killing exercise, but one I need to do for this race. I hope I have enough time to get a little practice and comfort with the hand paddles, and prepare my muscles for that abuse. If they work right, I should go a bit faster.

I am just going to swim on the surface, mostly on my back, but probably with some alternate strokes here and there to rest different body parts. With the fins and paddles, I should cruise pretty well.