Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Track run 3

This morning was another track workout.
4 x 1200 @ 5K pace w 400 "rest" interval
5:49, 5:11, 5:10, 5:07
The first one is a 7:50/mile pace. Which is in the ballpark of what I consider my 5K pace.
After finishing that first one I thought maybe my expectations are too low. So I turned it up.
The 5:11 is just under a 7:00/mile pace.
Time to look at the calculator again. Using my 1:50:00 Half Marathon time as the input. Sure enough, it has me down for running a 6:52 mile for a mile race and 7:40 as my 5K race pace.
Guess I shouldn't have turned it up that far?

Next:
4 x 200 working on leg speed w 200 "rest" interval
:42, :41.9, :40, :41
These are the type of numbers the calculator was expecting for this type of workout.
As Armando finished the first interval he announced "Exactly Double the World Record!" (his run not mine). Which then put those runners efforts into very clear focus for me. Unreal!

I realize I'm not supposed to be a slave to the numbers. It's just that I haven't thought about these times and distances before and I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

Remember you are a slowtwitch guy now. Those Olympians, all fast twitch.

m said...

Those pace charts are based on averages. Plus, if you think about it, that half marathon was uphill and hilly, so it was slower than your potential best with the same fitness. And, you are naturally speedier and not as trained for the long stuff, so you should be able to go faster than the chart indicates for the short stuff like 5k, 1 mile, etc.

Oh yeah, my post wasn't picking on you for decending you intervals in case you were worried. It is okay to do that when you are just starting out and figuring out your limits. It was me talking about myself.

CSquared said...

I totally read into it you were picking on Matt, especially now that you have stated you are not. You wouldn't have had to mention you weren't unless you were. It makes perfect sense.

My question for you, Maija is when you go to the track and you start descending on your hard interval, and the guys at the track who look like they are 70 are passing you, when they are taking there cool down laps, are you allowed to pick on these people? Because my real problem would be, how do I pick on myself?

catmarlson said...

You see what I have to deal with over here Craig?!!?
It's not just the physical abuse of the workouts, it's the mental abuse Maija dishes out at the end of every one of my runs. Ha ha!

Obviously I'm joking around.
I know that if I was doing something wrong, you would just tell me...
And in the case of descending intervals, I'd explain how I can't swim slow enough to start with to actually descend the full 400. :-)

Oh, I also think that's the first time anyone has said that I'm "naturally speedier".
Even if you meant that as a broad comment about all people, I'm considering buying a running hat with that written on it.

We are good at taking things out of context in on this blog aren't we!