Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stroke Count

I watched Michael Phelps win the 200 free the other night on the Olympics. I went back on NBC.com and watched the replay. I counted 25 strokes on his first 50 M, I then watched 27 or 28 on every other 50 M. Wow. That is awesome. The I tried to count others but with his lead the cameras didn't keep with the others the whole way. I think around 30 & 32 per 50M for the other guys I counted. His first 50 was probably the best coming off the blocks.

I haven't got much swim time in myself. But did 5 miles Monday run. About 13 miles bike Tuesday, and did a 4 mile run (no socks) before we went to Idlewild yesterday. Hope to get 20 miles on the bike tonight, an easy 3 to 4 mile run (again no socks) Friday along with a 1,000+ swim. Saturday another 20 mile bike with a 10 K run (socks on this run). Sunday, looking to run and find someplace to swim.

Sprint Splash & Spin on August 23. I hope to eliminate at least 1.5 mins on my transitions with the no sock procedure. Run & Bike looking good, hope to hold last years time on the swim.

I will know a lot of people at this Tri, but it looks like no other Venerable Companions. It has been over a year since I haven't done a Tri where Matt was there. I look forward to a shorter event and see if any of this increased endurance translates into faster performance. Will keep you updated on prep and race, plus my children are doing the kid's race on the Friday night before.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

I'm always curious what their stroke count would be if they used a pull buoy. These people have awesome kicks! I need to get myself some kicks...

I really would like to do the SSS Tri. It would be something to see what I could do this year, compared with those of a year ago.

As it stands, it's looking like the Spring Bassman or Mooseman will be my first "repeat race". I'm not sure the one year difference will be as great as the SSS would have been. I probably weighed 206-210 a year ago.

Last year's SSS results:
2:09 pace over 330yds (Pool swim)
18.82 mph on 11 mile flat bike
9:25 pace on the 5K

Man I was dying on that run! My first Tri and I kept trying to run some impossible pace and my HR would skyrocket! Ha ha.

Craig, you are going to crush your previous times. You are going to finish and want to do it again :-)
Unless it's 90+ degrees out again!