Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Ger - Mans

Dude from Germany won the Olympic Gold in the Tri yesterday. The best American was 7th Hunter Kemper. This is only significant because I was at our company picnic just a week and a half ago and a new employee's wife heard I had done a triathlon and asked if I knew who Hunter was because the law firm she worked for in Florida (before they moved to WV) had done some work for him and she had met him. I had heard the name but didn't realize he was in the Olympics. I am shocked that it wasn't an Aussie who won, actually they weren't that close. Just for prospective on our accomplishments compared to the world's elite (German dude's time):

1.5 km Swim (.93 mile) - 18:14 Rank 16
40 Km Bike (24.8 mile) - 59:01 Rank 34
10 Km Run (6.2 mile) - 30:46 Rank 1 (I have said and will always say, Runners win Tri's, by the way that is awful fast even by running standards.)

He had a total of 52 seconds in transition. You can watch it in it's entirety here Olympic Tri.
You can get both guys and gals at this link, no sound, but commentary to the right once you get it running. Girls times equally impressive. The Aussies won that and took Bronze. If you have trouble getting it to come up I used Zip Code 15370, Direct TV, WPXI 11.

I am feeling good for my tri Saturday. I did a bike/run brick Sunday. Came up with a little strain in left calf, typical of something I get, nothing awful. I have been stretching, soaking, and laying on the inversion table. Feels good today. I did not run yesterday like I wanted. After mini golf tournament in backyard with kids, getting their bikes ready for Friday, and watching the Olympics, I was worn out.

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

"Getting the Kids bikes ready for Friday".

I'm waiting for the year they are asking to borrow your aerobars :-)

catmarlson said...

You also might be interested in the Timberman Half Iron Results from last weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/6cuoug

Andy Potts finished nearly 10 minutes before the 2nd place finisher and was #1 in every event.

m said...

In the ITU races everyone is usually pretty close in time on the swim and bike and it usually goes to the person who can run the fastest after swimming really fast and biking really fast. Onlyl occasionally do you see a swimmer/biker get away for a win.

A guy a went to high school with ran cross country and track with Hunter Kemper at Wake Forest. He said he used to always beat Hunter at the 1500m.

Armando said...

That was an awesome race by the German. He just sat there with the lead pack during the run, until the end when somebody else broke away, and then he made his move. I agree with you, runners win these races.

CSquared said...

I didn't mention but Armando got it in, that was an awesome race by the German especially for being a big guy. He put in a sprint.