Thursday, August 7, 2008

Take it to the next level

I'm not sure if I mentioned that there was a deal to join "Genine's gym". It was a really good price, only I can't use the facility on Monday and Tuesday. That's their busy days.
You are probably wondering why I'd join another gym if I have a YMCA membership. Well the weight room at the Somerville YMCA is so uninspiring I have used it all of twice in 18+ months. It's just not a great facility, which is a shame.
On the other hand, being at the Warren PA, Y this week has been awesome. They have so much nice stuff in a very bright environment. They even have acoustic baffling in the Pool Area so it's not obnoxiously loud.
OK, back on topic. It was cheap enough that I joined the other gym for 2 years. I think that to take it to the next level, I need to put some time in at the weight room. Who better to get me started with this than Jerry!
I met Jerry at the Y Wednesday morning at about 9:30 and he put me through one of his workouts for the next 90 minutes or so. I definitely am not the perfect workout partner for him on leg day, because we'd have to unload a few hundred pounds off the machine as we switched off. It was not an all leg day though, so it worked out. He was able to give me some help with form on some of the machines which was good.
After lifting we hit the pool. I knocked out a quick workout and I figured it was time to head out. Nope. Michelle said "OK, let's see this Butterfly of yours". Oh man! So I flailed down the pool and then just swam back freestyle. She pointed out that I was not staying high enough in the water and that my arm recovery was basically removing all forward momentum as a result of that. She cruised down the pool a few times and I was able to see how it's supposed to work. Of course it's going to take some time for me to make that happen. But it was nice to see that once I get it, I'm not likely to lose it. (I don't think Michelle has attempted fly in quite some time and she still had it down)
Later that afternoon, Genine and Michelle went to the spin class. Jerry and I went on a ride up Hatch Run Road. Jerry was on his Mountain bike, with super knobby tires. I'm curious if he's interested in getting a road bike now. He was fairly certain he'd be able to keep up with me. It would be interesting to know how much more friction he was fighting compared to the road bike. 5x? 10x? Of course the other way to look at it, he was going to get a much harder workout out of the ride, right?
I think we are going to try to sneak to the weight room on Friday... (don't tell Michelle).
Shawn if you are in town in time you should join us. I think I saw kettlebells!

1 comment:

m said...

I heard a rumor that the tiled the nasty locker rooms in the somerville Y to replace the moldy carpet that was on the floor. The gym still sucks...