Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's killing me . .

It looks like I won't be making any trips to NJ. The Oct. 4 weekend is the only full weekend I have open for about a two months. I think with baby 4 coming in Nov. it would be best to stick around here and get some stuff done. I still am going to do some training, just not travel to race.

Fall schedule:

Definites
Sept. 20 - Hero's Run 5K.
Oct. 11 - Waynesburg Homecoming 5K

Maybe's
Sept. 7 - PMS Tri I probably should join this group, Morgantown Multisport. They were awful nice to me at the Sprint Splash & Spin. I met a lot of Friday at the kid's race and they recognized and cheered for me on Saturday.
Nov. 23 - Bruceton Mills Cyclocross Baby might hold me up here, Nov. 22 is due date. If it comes early or late I might squeeze it in.

For the last year I have also been talking about doing a 10K specific race and don't get this done, so maybe I should look for this.

I hope to focus on running in the fall and get speedier. Maybe come out of the winter with some wind left, rather than feeling like I am starting from zero.

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

are the .. after your title supposed to mean.
It's Kiling Me that I don't get another shot at Matt this season. Haha!

Actually, what will be the next race we will both be in? We need to supply some motivation for winter training here!!

That Cyclocross could be fun. I need an excuse to buy my "Tango" bike sooner than later.

I'd love to know how the cyclocross bikes held up on the Tango course and what their tire setup was.

The 10K.... maybe there is a Turkey Trot back in Warren Thanksgiving weekend?

SJV said...

Craig and I might be able to go through the list and see if we recognize anybody whom we saw with a cyclocross bike. I can tell you that every cyclocross bike I saw was passing me, and I don't think any of us saw anybody repairing tires or dealing with major wipeouts. My experience on that Tango trail was that I would be hesitant to use a skinnier tire on the back but could easily have handled a cyclocross tire on the front. Keep in mind I am weighing heavily on the rear tire. So based on this somewhat sketchy observation, it looks like a cross bike would easily be sufficient for any off-road situations you might encounter. I did some serious sliding around in the mud, but that is more my element than many. If you were gonna do the Tango bike next year (which I hope you will), it would be highly advisable to try to get some significant off-road or at least dirt-road and muddy dirt-road training in, but I think a cross bike would hold up just fine against anything you could dish out. You don't strike me as a cliff-jumper or crazy stunt man.

I found that I really liked my bike. As usual, I think the best way to speed up for me would be to lose another 30 pounds. No cross bike can save me that much weight.

CSquared said...

Killing me that with this aerobic base I appear not to be able to swing getting out east to do a race. Of course if it includes another shot at Matt, then that is an added benefit. Haha! I am way down on the rival stuff.

It may need to be a Jingle Bell Run in Warren, my mom & dad are heading to my house for Thanksgiving to see new grand child. Tamara won't be up for a road trip either way.

esther said...

pms tri? is this a girl's team?

CSquared said...

Point Marion Sprint (get it)

Point Marion is a small town in Pennsylvania just about 7 miles from Morgantown. It is a training race for the local club. They are quite funny how they talk about it. "When a group of people hang around a lot together they all end up PMSing together".

Last year they also held the Cheat Lake International Triathlon. I will let you make that acronym on your own. Some people were slightly offended so they didn't have a repeat of this event.

Both these races were free? (price of a tureen to share after the workout), and someone in the club designed the course.